PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
I've been reading about fitting stems to pipes. I have the tenon stretcher that you heat up the stem and push it in to expand the tenon.

My question is more towards reducing the tenon. Should I invest in the tenon cutter or can I chuck up a stem in my drill and sand it to fit? I know I'll need be careful so I don't damage the face or I'll have to rework that fitment to the shank.

I think I can create a way to hold a file in place to reflatten the face if I screwed it up. I may even be able to set slight angles. Not all stems or pipes are cut exactly flat. They are cut flat to each other. Meaning some pipes put flat on a table, in relation to the stem/shank union, wouldn't be exactly 90°.

Depending on the type of pipe, the angle can change. Or am I over thinking this? Because they are cut 90° to each other. Unless they have an angle cut for appearance.

I think the delrin is asking for trouble in my case. I don't have a lathe. I've cobbled one together with a drill before to fit dowels to holes. Different colored wood to cover screws or as embellishments. But then I'd have to find a product that adheres to dilrin and vulcanite. I read that epoxy and CA glue doesn't stick to delrin. Epoxy would set, but the delrin could turn in the mortise and pull out. Unless you cut groves. To me it seems like a lot of extra work.

I have one of those presses that turns your drill into a drill press. Not a new one. One of the old ones that actually secures the drill for drilling.

I also use it with a jig with sanding drums. Works well enough. I made the jig with replaceable square pieces so when they get worn out. They have a circle cut into them to fit each size drum. Its been years since I've even seen it.

It'll be nice to work with my hands again. They've been idle too long. The dogs Been telling me to hurt people. LOL!!

Eventually from sanding at all angles the hole gets bigger and small parts fall through. Usually it eventually increase about 1/4".

Thinking about building a jig to turn the drill into a sanding disc. I have a small sander, not sure if it can handle a bigger disc. I also have a air grinder. Those discs are 2". Wonder if it can handle 4"- 8" disc? Would still need a jig to hold them.

I think I have a big electric grinder, or I could modify my circular saw. Put a piece of plywood in front of an old blade, making sure to cover the cutting edge. Depending on the type of blade, I could stick sandpaper directly to it. I think.

So has anyone had any luck sanding a stem tenon chucked in a drill? Or with my setup is it better to use the tenon cutter?

I have a machinist vise I can clamp the stem into. Just need to make some wood vise attachment to hold the stem. Only time I get any drift is when applying sideways pressure when using drum Sanders.

I could build a lathe jig. But I would either have to mount the vise at 90°, but that would be like turning the press on its side, then I'd need to find a way for the stem to be held in line with the drill. Trying to rig up lathe parts would be too expensive and time consuming.

I guess I should stop here before I list a couple hundred solutions to the problem. Am I over thinking it? Will my press, vise, and sandpaper suffice, or do I invest in the cutter?

Thanks

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Hey there! Here's a bit of general advice. First of all, remember we're not building the space shuttle here. If your tenon is too big, sand it down a bit. If it's too small, try moistening the mortise. If that leaves things a bit wiggly, put a little nail polish on your tenon to snug things up. Let the nail polish dry before gently inserting tenon into mortise (Giggity!), and if it's too tight (Giggity!) give it a light sanding followed by reinsertion (GiggityGiggity!!) until it fits to your preference.

Reactions: jhowell and smknron

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
I'm not talking about pipes I smoke. I mean restoration. I bought some pipe lots that had some stummels with no stems so I need to refit stems to those stummels.

Status
Not open for further replies.