PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

joseppp.73

Lurker
Jan 30, 2023
I am brand new to pipe smoking, and I was given a free briar pipe missing a stem. "Conway 91" is carved on the bottom. It is very similar if not the same as the pipe at the link below. I cannot figure out what type of replacement stem to get for it as a Missouri Meerschaum stem I have is too large (I believe this stem is 6mm). Can anyone help?

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Stems are custom to each pipe. Tenons need to be turned extremely precisely to an individual mortise, and the external lines of the stem have to be shaped to the shank. You'll have to send it in to somebody like Mike Myers in Ann Arbor or any of a number of other pipe repair guys. Expect to pay $50+ for this kind of work.

Some stummels simply aren't worth it. You can get another pipe for that much money.

Then again, many stummels are worth it. Post pictures of the stamping on your pipe, and guys here can help you identify it.

According to Pipedia, Conway might be a Singleton & Cole make, or else might be a Loewe make. Either way, that pipe might be worth it. Pics will help.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Also, if you're new to pipe smoking, I don't know that you need to start your career with the hassle of a stem replacement. Hold on to that stummel and decide later, when you're more established in the fancy, whether it's worth it to you.

In the meantime, I always recommend starting with cobs. You can make all your mistakes on them without breaking the bank, and they're darn good smokers at any stage in the game.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Stems are custom to each pipe. Tenons need to be turned extremely precisely to an individual mortise, and the external lines of the stem have to be shaped to the shank. You'll have to send it in to somebody like Mike Myers in Ann Arbor or any of a number of other pipe repair guys. Expect to pay $50+ for this kind of work.

Some stummels simply aren't worth it. You can get another pipe for that much money.

Then again, many stummels are worth it. Post pictures of the stamping on your pipe, and guys here can help you identify it.

According to Pipedia, Conway might be a Singleton & Cole make, or else might be a Loewe make. Either way, that pipe might be worth it. Pics will help.
Mike has retired.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Looks like Conway was the house brand/basket brand for Singleton & Cole.

To echo @SBC there is no such thing as a “replacement” stem for a briar pipe with very few exceptions, this not being one of those exceptions. The cost of having a new stem made for that pipe would likely exceed the pipes value. I would recommend starting with a new pipe. But you could send it to a pipe repairman and have one made if you wanted.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I've bought a couple of mixed bags of stems off ebay.
I go to my big bag of stems and look for a match when needed.
Sometimes I get lucky.
Other times the pipe goes into my mixed bag of orphaned pipes.
Sometimes late at night I can faintly here them weeping.

Reactions: PipeWI and 5star

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Guys have stems made for very expensive pipes. Or pipes with great personal sentimental value (their father or grandfather owned it etc)

Mac

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Looking at Briarville prices, a new stem from a blank (pre-made) will cost $30:

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Does making a new stem require resanding and refinishing the original pipe shank ?

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Id suggest setting it aside and picking up a decent estate pipe. Its probably not worth the effort. I bought a box of estates. Some stems were trashed. While they could be repaired and smoked it just isnt worth it unless its a moderatly high dollar pipe or has some sentimental value....or you just happen to really love it. Pipe stummels are otherwise pretty worthless to the average guy.