PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
George is a member of the Greater Kansas City Pipe Club. If he is not the best pipe repairman in the country it doesn't take long to call the roll.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Think I need to order one of those fret files. I have a couple of files with safe ( or dead as he calls it) edges but think the fret file will work much better. Just happen to have a Stewart-McDonald catolog! I buy my CA glue from them.

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
Thought you might like that Ed. Let me know the price on those files I may have to order me one as well!

Tim

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Found them on line. They are not cheap at $38.00. They are also hollow ground-meant to file a ROUNDED surface. Can't see using one of those to do button work. Maybe the catolog has some different styles. May have to make do with my old Nicholson "Handy" file.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I did a little more research Tim. I think I found what he was using. It a "nut seating file" which has flat cutting edges. Also cheaper. Here's a link-- http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/item/5055?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2013-10-gp&gclid=COiF5unNi7oCFevm7Aodn1QANQ&tab=Pictures

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been wrapping a popsicle stick with paper to do the button/crease work, a little fussy, but works well enough.

I also picked up a bar of the red rouge, wow, that takes the stems to yet another level (without removing material).

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Recently bought some of these-- http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080764/29708/Micro-Mesh-12-x-5-34-Colored-Sanding-Sticks.aspx

They work great for button work on estate pipes or for finish work on a molded or hand cut stem. I use them wet.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Wow proud of the fret files aren't they, cool micro mesh sanding sticks Ed, I could see those being useful, I use the heck out of micro mesh for stem making.

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
I've been wrapping a popsicle stick with paper to do the button/crease work, a little fussy, but works well enough.
That's what I've been using as well. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
I've been watching his videos for quite some time and he seems like a really nice guy. Anybody that takes the time to put tips and instruction videos up for other to learn from is pretty cool in my book!

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.