PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
Hey all.. so my first pipe ever that is true to my heart broke. The stem broke off. Its a Luciano Sitter.. beautiful guy. I really hope there is a way to fix this.
The plastic narrow stem is still inside, I was thibking maybe there is a tool.. or I can drill into it and yank it out. I believe its a vulcinite stem.
And then what would you do for a replacement? Should I get one from Luciano? Or aftermarket? Id prefer original but the stem on the pipe really wasnt anything special tbh,
I cannot abandon her! The following 3 pipes i bought after suck in comparison! Ha.
Any Ideas? Thanks

Reactions: Briar Lee
V

varrj

Better that the tenon broke than the shank. Tim West fixed one of mine and did an excellent job.

Reactions: Briar Lee

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Something to try:

Put the pipe in the freezer for a couple of hours. The stem fragment may become loose enough that you can carefully work it out of the stummel.

Don’t force anything.

I’ve used this technique to loosen stuck stems on estates.

Reactions: Rustamgtx

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
Thanks for all the great responses. I will send it to a repair shop just for safety, i dont trust myself. Ill check put briarworks. Thanks!

Not that it matters now that the best decision has been made…. to get the broken off tenon out of the mortice…. Select a nail with a head that just fits inside the draft. I have the ability to grind the head down, but for those without, just select one at the hardware store. But anyways, secure the nail. I use a vice, but you can hammer it into a 2x4, a stud in the wall, or maybe the kitchen table. Insert it into the tenon, and fish it a little till you feel the head slide down into the groove between the end of the tenon and the inside face of the mortice…. Then gently pull the stummel till the tenon s gently out. Viola!

But, then watcha gonna do? Ha ha. Sometimes, I just make my own stem from some rod stock…. but that requires me to do a lot more explaining…. But, at least I can explain how to remove the tenon. puffy

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Another way to get it out is to screw a drywall screw (because they have a thin core and thin, deep threads which is less likely to expand the tenon) into the tenon airway just enough that it bites but not enough that it expands the tenon then give it a pull with a pair of pliers.

Unless you intend to fix it yourself which requires the right tools, you may as well leave it in place and let a repairman get it out.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I was going to answer this, but.... The "freezer" and the "screw" are what I would try. p.s. If the stem is lucite be careful with the screw. Too tight and you could crack it. If it comes out cleanly you can fix it by joining the two pieces together with super glue using a piece of metal ball point pen refill to join them. I've got one I smoke all the time that was fixed that way over 30 years ago.