PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

harkpuff

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Just was wondering.....
What percentage of professional artisan and factory pipe makers do you suppose provide a sock with their pipes?
Do you know of any that do not?
How much importance do you suppose buyers place on a sock being provided or not?
Harkpuff84

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Every brand new Rad I have bought comes with a nice heavy leather pipe sock. Some of the artisan estate pipes I have bought also came with a nice leather sock. Back in the say when I was buying new Castello's, Radice's and Viprati's they all came with a cheaper cloth sock. When I was bugyng new Danish artisan pipes they all came with nice leather ones. I can conclude from this that factories use cheaper cloth socks as compared to artisans who use nice leather one's.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Every new pipe I've bought has had one. The quality of which is debatable. But, I would like one since I'm spending the money and they always come with one.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
The only new pipes I've ever bought that did not come with a sock were Meerschaum pipes, and they came in a fitted case. I personally don't use the socks after I get the pipe, as I like to let my pipes breath. I don't keep anything in leather, as it can absorb moisture from the air and possibly cause problems, especially for metals. But hey, that's just me.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
agnosticpipe wrote:
"I personally don't use the socks after I get the pipe, as I like to let my pipes breath."
Exactly! Everyone seems to include them, but I've never heard of anyone doing anything with them once the pipe is home and smoked. (When I was buying a lot of new pipes, in fact, I just threw all of them out!)
To me, unless you're talking about protecting the finish on a very expensive piece of briar (say, upwards of $1,000), it seems like it's a waste of money. I don't believe a $120 Peterson needs a protective sock. On the other hand, removing a new purchase from a pipe sock does increase the whole "buyer satisfaction" experiences. It imparts some sense of luxury, even if you only paid $50 for the pipe inside. And there's something to be said for that from a marketing standpoint.
Bob

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I must be the odd ball because I keep my pipe in my pocket all day when I'm working and not smoking. I put it in the sock to protect it from being scratched in my pocket. I find the best thing to use for a pipe sock is one of those flannel type shoe shine mitts. My wife works in a Hotel and I get them for nothing and they wear really well. I can throw them in the washing machine if they get dirty.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
A lot of the top artisan pipe guys (and a few guys on the bottom like myself...:) use Neil over at Smoking Holsters for pipe socks and his very cool pipe bags http://www.smokinholsters.com/ ...and at $12 apiece for a sock, it definitely adds to the cost, but it's just part of trying to put out a good pipe..

2dl87s1.jpg

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Zack24 that is outstanding and adds a definite touch of class. As far as the regular socks go I have not purchased any high end Artisan pipes yet so I have never recieved the leather sock, but as far as the rest go, all my Petes, Savs and major brand pipes came in a nice cloth type sock. I don't keep the pipe in it because I like my pipes out on my racks where I can see them but I do keep the sock and original box to put them in case I rotate them out of the racks. Nearly every old box I have purchased had a sock in it though so I would say it is the norm and not the exception. :puffpipe:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
The only thing I use my pipe socks for is traveling. I have a small bag, about the size of the one that Zack posted, that will hold about 8-10 pipes (in socks), 3-4 half-pint jars of tobacco, my two-pipe/tobacco combo pouch and a bundle of cleaners. The socks are only there to keep the pipes from rubbing together.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I lay a sock down in my car ashtray and then lay my pipe on that when I have to leave a un-finished pipe in the car. It keeps it from getting scratched.

Status
Not open for further replies.