PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We were at a local restaurant this afternoon, and I spotted this Christmas card and noticed it had a Santa smoking a pipe. I asked to see it, and it was from our local "Santa" with him on the front, smoking a pipe Bud has been portraying Santa in our area for close to fifty years. He owns a local body shop and really does smoke a pipe. He's had our kids on his lap and now our grandchildren. I'm sure there are 1000's of very authentic Santa's across the nation, but Bud really fits the bill. That is his own hair and beard, he is 6' 2" and about 275 pound, definitely not "elfish".

Below is a story about him that was in our local paper a few years ago. He is in his late 80's now and had some health issues, we might not have him much longer.

20230101_162954.jpg
1672619889507.png

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
He's really spot on for Santa. I know three professional Santas, and one of them does it as a seasonal job and even travels out of state for gigs.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
We were at a local restaurant this afternoon, and I spotted this Christmas card and noticed it had a Santa smoking a pipe. I asked to see it, and it was from our local "Santa" with him on the front, smoking a pipe Bud has been portraying Santa in our area for close to fifty years. He owns a local body shop and really does smoke a pipe. He's had our kids on his lap and now our grandchildren. I'm sure there are 1000's of very authentic Santa's across the nation, but Bud really fits the bill. That is his own hair and beard, he is 6' 2" and about 275 pound, definitely not "elfish".

Below is a story about him that was in our local paper a few years ago. He is in his late 80's now and had some health issues, we might not have him much longer.

View attachment 191633
View attachment 191635
I need to get in touch with Bud. I would like to know where he got the suit in the photo of him smoking his pipe.

Reactions: Briar Tuck
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I need to get in touch with Bud. I would like to know where he got the suit in the photo of him smoking his pipe.
I know it's early in the season, but have seen some holiday decorations in stores already.

Since you are the quintessential pipe smoking Santa (a true compliment, by the way), what pipe shapes would Santa typically favor? Would the preferred shape change before, during, and after the big night?

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I know it's early in the season, but have seen some holiday decorations in stores already.

Since you are the quintessential pipe smoking Santa (a true compliment, by the way), what pipe shapes would Santa typically favor? Would the preferred shape change before, during, and after the big night?
When sitting and relaxing I prefer a churchwarden or long stemmed clay pipe.
When working in the toy shop I like quarter or half bent pipes for clenching.
I don't have a particular shape preference but I do like the Belge shape.

Edit: I'm waiting until Oct. 7 to change my avatar. That's when I make my first Santa appearance of the year.

Last edited:

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I really can’t believe you guys.
1. Children sitting on old man’s lap? Really?
2. Giving free stuff. Only the Government can do that.
3. Smoking tobacco is harmful. Please no pipe.
4. Lying to children without a teaching degree. Where is the DOJ when you need them.
5. Pushing a fake European tradition while ignoring other cultures.
6. Male dominate image. Why stereotypical male?
7. Enslaves height challenged people to work for cookies.
8. Don’t even get me started on animal abuse.
9. Constantly entering countries without proper papers or permission. Maybe a drug runner or worse.
10. Red and white fur? There is so much wrong with that!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I really can’t believe you guys.
1. Children sitting on old man’s lap? Really?
2. Giving free stuff. Only the Government can do that.
3. Smoking tobacco is harmful. Please no pipe.
4. Lying to children without a teaching degree. Where is the DOJ when you need them.
5. Pushing a fake European tradition while ignoring other cultures.
6. Male dominate image. Why stereotypical male?
7. Enslaves height challenged people to work for cookies.
8. Don’t even get me started on animal abuse.
9. Constantly entering countries without proper papers or permission. Maybe a drug runner or worse.
10. Red and white fur? There is so much wrong with that!
Somebody doesn't even deserve coal and is getting a wind turbine for Christmas !
1695910169684.png ;) :ROFLMAO:

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Somebody doesn't even deserve coal and is getting a wind turbine for Christmas !
View attachment 249587 ;) :ROFLMAO:
Wow! I forgot he supports dangerous fossil fuel production. Obviously doesn’t care about the environment. This reminds me that he leaves candy in stocking which is not nutritious and we don’t even know if it is produced in a FDA approved facility. The oranges and apples are picked by underpaid immigrants forced into “slave” labor by overbearing orchard owners who are using our water resources in a wasteful manner. Let’s not even talk about runoff.
Boy this guy is bad news.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Wow! I forgot he supports dangerous fossil fuel production. Obviously doesn’t care about the environment. This reminds me that he leaves candy in stocking which is not nutritious and we don’t even know if it is produced in a FDA approved facility. The oranges and apples are picked by underpaid immigrants forced into “slave” labor by overbearing orchard owners who are using our water resources in a wasteful manner. Let’s not even talk about runoff.
Boy this guy is bad news.
1695912506257.png

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Mrs Cosmic keeps prodding me to go to the Santa school here. She keeps reading that a good Santa can make $40,000 in one season. I just don't like kids. Kudos to you guys who can handle being around the rugrats.
A Santa would have to work real hard or be real lucky to make that kind of money. The ones I know for sure that make that money do appearances in movies, commercials or music videos. They also do most of their work in affluent areas like Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, etc.

I personally make less because I don't portray Santa to make money. I consider it a successful season when I recoup my Santa expenses and am able to provide good Christmas presents to my grandchildren.