PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Speaking of commitment... or the lack there of.

I recently had a visit from a cousin of mine. Now, this guy is quite a piece of work. He holds a doctorate from an ivy league university and is now a professor at another and has won every prize and award there is in his field. If you were to look on a list of the worlds greatest mathematicians, you would find his name. You get the idea, a genius in spades. ( why didn't I get some of those brains? life is unfair.)

Anyway, he is a big admirer of Einstein and when we were in my office he noticed all the pipes and said that if Einstein smoked one there must be something to it. He is a non smoker. He then asked if he could smoke one of mine. I hesitated for a moment and then told him I didn't think it was a good idea and he wondered why not. I then asked him if he know how to play the violin and, as I knew he would, he said "no". Then I asked him if on hearing the Beethoven Violin Concerto, he would ask the violinist to borrow his instrument so he could play the concerto too. Again, no. I then explained that if he wanted to learn to smoke a pipe I would be happy to teach him, but I would need a few days to do it properly. He needed to make a commitment to do it right. I also told him that if he tried right now he would likely make himself sick. He still has never smoked a pipe. puffy
That's great! Although there is certainly some levity in your story, you probably saved him from an uncomfortable experience.
I only wish I would have been offered a few days of mentoring when I started. Although the event wasn't necessarily catastrophic, I'm quite sure I would have appreciated the opportunity to listen, watch and learn in the company of an experienced hobbyist. Hopefully he will take you up on that at some point.

Yours was a generous offer, sir.

Reactions: warren99

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
From Raymond Chandler's, 'Farewell My Lovely':
"I filled a pipe and reached for the packet of paper matches. I lit the pipe carefully. She watched that with approval. Pipe smokers were solid men. She was going to be disappointed."

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
From Raymond Chandler's, 'Farewell My Lovely':
"I filled a pipe and reached for the packet of paper matches. I lit the pipe carefully. She watched that with approval. Pipe smokers were solid men. She was going to be disappointed."
That’s writing!

Reactions: romaso