PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I really enjoyed Fred Hanna's book: The Perfect Smoke. Essentially it is a collection of essays he's written over the years, covering a variety of topics, all of which are pipe and Tobacco related. I first read it when I was still new to the hobby and learned quite a lot. I still refer back to it from time-to-time, and I have experimented with "tin baking" Virginia blends, an idea I saw first in this book.
He's a very good story teller and I found the content very informative and entertaining! Highly recommended.

Link:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not quite the same thing but I got a shock recently. One of the buildings I cover is a day care. I was looking at one of the books for younger kids (like kindergarden kids). I think it was titled something like because a (some kind of little animal) sneezed. And one of the last scenes was a crowded city scene. It included a man dropping a lit pipe. I thought must be old. Nope it was printed in 2020. One of the few times I wish I had a smart phone with a good camera. Oh and the man wasn't hidden in the background he was in the front row.

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN

I had the same question and got turned on to some helpful links.

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
Good afternoon everyone, I've just finished Rick Newcombe's 'In search of pipe dreams' and found it to be a great read for both information and entertainment. Now that I've wetted my beak in pipe literature looking for recommendations for more reading non-fiction material around our great hobby. Thanks in advance.
You might want to check out books by Christopher Morley . . . early 20th century journalist and pipe smoker.

Reactions: Highlandpiper

benrapaport

Lurker
Apr 19, 2011
To all those seeking suggestions about pipe books or desirous of a list of what's been published as books, I can send you mine. True, I no longer operate Antiquarian Tobacciana, but I can still offer a free service, a database of all the literature about tobacco and pipes, yesterday and today. Contact me at ben70gray@gmail.com. I prefer not to post here. And it's true: Scott Thile (pipedia.org) is hosting all my new articles since P&T was shuttered.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Good afternoon everyone, I've just finished Rick Newcombe's 'In search of pipe dreams' and found it to be a great read for both information and entertainment. Now that I've wetted my beak in pipe literature looking for recommendations for more reading non-fiction material around our great hobby. Thanks in advance.
Apart from the great recommendations which have already been stated above, I'd suggest Tobacco, by Iain Gately. It's comprehensive, beginning with what's known of tobacco in prehistory, then covering developments all the way up to the 21st century.