PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmer93

Lurker
Feb 16, 2014
I started last year, because my great grandfather had a pipe. I never met him, but I've heard many stories that everyone that was close to him compares me to him sometimes. No one knew until two weeks ago that I smoke a pipe. One day I walked in the house after having some Captain Black Royal my parents asked, "What kind of cigars do you smoke?", "Or do you smoke a pipe?". I didn't answer them and walked to my room. Later I came back from my room after cleaning my Kaywoodie "500" and my mom said I smelled just like my great grandfather. She said, "You do smoke a pipe, don't you?" I said yeah.

So no one has complained.

farmer93

Lurker
Feb 16, 2014
I forgot one thing. I wanted to smoke a pipe, because I've always wanted to have grown up back when pipe smoking was very popular and I like old fashioned things. It also seems to be a very calming activity and I'm a very calm person. The last reason is because I think it's much more sophisticated looking then cigarettes or cigars, even though I also like cigars.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I started when I was about to go off to college because that's what all the college guys did. That was 54 years ago. I fell in love with the first bowl and haven't fallen out of love with it since.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I was also inspired to smoke a pipe from reading "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" books. I was 17 and bought a Dr. Grabow and some Capt Black Gold. My parents even let me smoke in my room. They were both cig smokers and thought I was trying to be distinguished. Now mash this thread with the Metal thread and I kind of looked like Aragorn smoking a pipe :)

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
For me it was when my box of Ashton cigars hit $250.00 , I was also smoking more and more cigars and needed to cut back on the nic.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
My Dad's brother, Uncle Ben who lived in Jersey. Always thought of him as mature/responsible....something I wantd to be when I grew up. Hated cigarettes, loved Conan Doyle's creation, Sherlock Holmes and at 19 began collecting and smoking pipes.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Everyone in my family smoked a pipe. My Father, Grand Father and Great Grand Father (born 1858 died 1959) both his sons who survived WW1 as well as my Uncle Charles a machine gunner 1914-18 and my Fathers Bat Man Uncle Fitz. Practically everyone I knew growing up had a Father or brother who smoked a pipe so smoking a pipe sort of came as second nature. That being said I did learn to roll perfect cigarettes from my Uncle Charles who would still smoke five a day until the day he fell face forward into his lunch and dropped dead in 1978. At least he had his two large scotch and sodas before lunch and with my Mother cooking, as it was the cooks day off, I don't feel he missed out on too much that day.

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
Multiple factors, in my case. My paternal grandfather smoked a pipe throughout my childhood and adolescence; my dad also went through a few pipe and cigar phases. Other pipe smokers I knew included extended family members, my dad's friends and business associates, and neighbors. These guys spanned a couple of generations and struck me as grown-up, sophisticated, or cool (and sometimes a combination of all three). I could never get enough of the scent of pipe smoke, which was very pleasant and sweet to me, even when I was a very young kid. It was easy to imagine - and look forward to - the pleasure of pipe smoking: I knew I'd take up a pipe at the first opportunity and looked forward to the privilege. I guess a particular inspiration to me was the older brother of a friend in our neighborhood who was about 16: Their dad gave the older brother permission to smoke cigars, but he actually took to the pipe right away and just seemed to know how to handle it like an expert. I started out myself a short time later with a Dr. G and some Borkum Riff. Freshman year of college, my roommate smoked a pipe (as did quite a few guys back then) - having age-mates who enjoyed their pipes and cigars made it pretty easy to enjoy the hobby and learn more about it. I'd say my evolution as a pipe smoker was a pretty natural one.

Status
Not open for further replies.