PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
It looks like I'll get the chance to be in Hong Kong for 4 or 5 days here in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if any one here has experience in the city.

Any tobacco shops worth a visit? What's is the state of smoking in the city?
I've read a few things and it sounds like the city might have Western style smoking restrictions. It also sounds like you can only bring in 25gms of tobacco without paying taxes so between that and the smoking restrictions I might leave the pipes at home. Not sure if it will be worth the hassle. I would truly appreciate an advice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since this is always changing in various places, I'd go to a bookstore and browse their travel books for Hong Kong, current editions. Smoking ought to be indexed. The mainland government keeps impinging on the more free government that Hong Kong is supposed to retain, so that might include smoking rules. However, China is rather infamous for tobacco use. Tobacco was one of Mao's luxuries on The Long March, and I think it is still a staple of culture, but on Hong Kong, I'm not sure. When there, if possible, take the cog railroad up Victoria Peak for a spectacular view of the harbor, and eat at one of the floating restaurants in the harbor. By pure chance, I attended a Chinese New Years parade in Kowloon that was spectacular, but you have to be there for that holiday.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Thank for the reply MSO. I've done some research online. It looks like they have a Davidoff store there that might be promising. This is my 3rd time to visit Hong Kong, on my previous visits I was more of the occasional cigar smoker and I don't think I smoked while there. Now I'm hoping to enjoy a pipe sometime. I think I've been to Victoria peak 3 times. Well worth the ride.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tell us how it is for pipe smokers in Hong Kong. I suspect it is fairly relaxed, but there may be rules to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.