PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMC

Lurker
Feb 17, 2021
Hi Everyone -

Given all of the current restrictions in place with the Pandemic or ongoing smoking laws, I thought it would be good to call out places that allow smoking pipes/cigars right now - outside of dedicated smoking lounges.

I live in Orlando and haven’t had any issues lighting up at a few places -
- Kitty O’Sheas Pub - Lake Buena Vista, FL
- Miller’s Ale House - I-Drive - Orlando, Fl

Let’s compile a list of friendly places to enjoy our hobby!

- Dan

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Haven't seen any restaurants, bars or pubs allowing smoke in some time. Some small bars used to allow smoke in the back before the dinner crowd, but that even stopped. Local brewpub allows smoking on their lawn.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

PipesMC

Lurker
Feb 17, 2021
Mostly outdoor spaces - as many times there are more granular regulations when it involves pipe/cigar smoking (as opposed to allowing only cigarettes)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I’ve smoked in too many places to list in Las Vegas
Outside of Las Vegas though, it is slim pickings. And when I was in Las Vegas last, they were cracking down at least some. I don't travel like I used to but it sure seems like there are almost no places to smoke aside from some pipe and cigar shops. It's been several years since I was able to get a decent hotel room that would allow smoking. Perhaps some really seedy hotels and bars still allow it here and there but who cares? I'm not interested in being in those places regardless of their smoking policy.

The reality is, outside of a very few exceptions, smoking in public places is a thing of the past at this time.

PipesMC

Lurker
Feb 17, 2021
Outside of Las Vegas though, it is slim pickings. And when I was in Las Vegas last, they were cracking down at least some. I don't travel like I used to but it sure seems like there are almost no places to smoke aside from some pipe and cigar shops. It's been several years since I was able to get a decent hotel room that would allow smoking. Perhaps some really seedy hotels and bars still allow it here and there but who cares? I'm not interested in being in those places regardless of their smoking policy.

The reality is, outside of a very few exceptions, smoking in public places is a thing of the past at this time.
It’s pretty easy to find smoking options in Las Vegas for sure. Finding quality options elsewhere is much more difficult. While rare, I’d like to believe that there are quality places out there where pipes are allowed (like I’d mentioned in my original post)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!

This is not a political post, but here’s what happened. Two bills were introduced to the Nevada legislature #4 and #5. When they were put out to the citizens to vote all the ads were highly deceptive and caused a ton of confusion.

Example if you felt strongly about allowing smoking in bars you would vote yes on #4 and no on #5. The reality was you should’ve voted yes on #5 and no on #4.

The vote was essentially flipped. It led to massive layoffs and bar closures.

Bar owners took it upon themselves to just start allowing it. The law was then repealed. So now it’s up to the individual bars.

There are still smoking rooms in hotels, although it’s limited to 2-4 rooms generally. I know because I stayed in one last week. Hilton Hotels Garden Inn. Is that a dive hotel.

Anyway, I travel a lot. Only Nevada had a bunch of options of the four states I travel extensively through. The ones that have zilch, that I travel through are AZ, UT and CA.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This is not a political post, but here’s what happened. Two bills were introduced to the Nevada legislature #4 and #5. When they were put out to the citizens to vote all the ads were highly deceptive and caused a ton of confusion.

Example if you felt strongly about allowing smoking in bars you would vote yes on #4 and no on #5. The reality was you should’ve voted yes on #5 and no on #4.

The vote was essentially flipped. It led to massive layoffs and bar closures.

Bar owners took it upon themselves to just start allowing it. The law was then repealed. So now it’s up to the individual bars.

There are still smoking rooms in hotels, although it’s limited to 2-4 rooms generally. I know because I stayed in one last week. Hilton Hotels Garden Inn. Is that a dive hotel.

Anyway, I travel a lot. Only Nevada had a bunch of options of the four states I travel extensively through. The ones that have zilch, that I travel through are AZ, UT and CA.
I assume the Hilton Garden Inn you refer to was in Nevada. Nevada seems to be an exception. Unfortunately, my travels rarely take me there.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It’s pretty easy to find smoking options in Las Vegas for sure. Finding quality options elsewhere is much more difficult. While rare, I’d like to believe that there are quality places out there where pipes are allowed (like I’d mentioned in my original post)

I'd like to believe it as well. Unfortunately, reality has shown me differently for 2 to 3 years now. All Marriott owned properties went non smoking many years ago. Perhaps Nevada is an exception to that, I don't know. Wyndham owned properties are non smoking. I can't remember the last time a Hyatt, Hilton or Hampton property had any smoking rooms. My sampling is limited to Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Chicago.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'd like to believe it as well. Unfortunately, reality has shown me differently for 2 to 3 years now. All Marriott owned properties went non smoking many years ago. Perhaps Nevada is an exception to that, I don't know. Wyndham owned properties are non smoking. I can't remember the last time a Hyatt, Hilton or Hampton property had any smoking rooms. My sampling is limited to Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Chicago.
if I owned a hotel or motel I'd keep it non smoking less of a pain in the ass. And having rooms that you can't rent to many customers just doesn't make sense.