Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That is a great article.

Welcome to you Smokingdragon.
Not bad for your first post.

It usually takes a few before the new member opens a can-o'-worms. :D
Here we go!
My preference is straight and smooth with good birds eyes on the bottom and rim.

ascorti1977056-1-600x449.jpg
cavicchi5clft-1-600x450.jpg

:puffy:

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
I used to be stuck with straight grain. Recently I am more into sandblast pipes and shape(exclusive of finish) of a pipe.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Birdseye,wish I had a pipe (or three) completely covered in birdseye. Straight grain just doesn't do much for me.
And to quote from the article that smokingdragon posted the link to--

But smoking quality does not encompass all that there is in smoking pleasure; there are certainly visual and tactile aspects as well. To view the smoke as it curls up from the bowl; to admire the tightness of grain on a beautiful crosscut; to massage the bowl of a gnarly sandblast. All these factors play a large part in pipe smoking. Our smoking pipes are part of us, they reflect who we are, they are true friends. Far be it from me to tell you, the reader, what type of finish you should set your sights on. In ending I can say only this: the smooth finish shows nature’s perfection; the sandblasted pipe lets one feel nature; the carved finish brings one closer to the craftsman.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Smoking a completely birds eye gain right now. Tomorrow its a more of a flame grain. Wednesday its a straight grain. Thursday is a cob. Then start over from the begining. At night its my meer. Never thought about it in those terms before reading this post though. When I buy a pipe I get it if I like the look.

Status
Not open for further replies.