PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Wanta share your Pipe Smoking Gadget ideas? Here's one of mine.

Pipe stand;

Cork for gravity packing/Tamper Rod holder;

Tamper/cleaning rod;

Hemp lighter;

Antique Diamond Match Safe;

The Hemp bottle and Match Vesta have magnets to affix them to the repurposed tin which holds the current smoke.

14aihkp.jpg

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Ahhh, a super cool item. They offer a very soft flame which will stay small for those extended charlight occasions and also reaches down into the bowl well for relights when getting to the end. I think mostly it just goes with the idea of what the American Indian might have lit his pipe with. One of my favorite items to light with. (you do have to get it going with some other fire piece though, LOL.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Awesome setup! As my family objects vehemently to my pipe smoking, I am not so fortunate as to have a proper setup stationed on the patio. When smoking time comes along, the pipe, pouch, bic and tool come out, and when I'm done they go back in the rolltop.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The hemp wick itself is easily obtainable from a lot of places and the glass holders are usually handmade from small bottles. However, if you do a Google search there are places that sell them such as HERE.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Great setup! I like how it keeps everything close by and handy. How much wick fits in the bottle and how often do you need to replenish it?
I'm growing increasingly more interested in trying the hemp wick for lighting my pipes indoors. I realize that it adds another step to the process but I'm attracted by the "old fashioned-ness" of it. I could see myself keeping an unscented candle lit next to my smoking chair to quickly and easily ignite the hemp wick. :puffy:

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Thank you for the link, Phil.
I looked into the hemp wick and the little glass bottles. Humboldt-Traders seems to be the most recommended hemp wick company. From what I've read the hemp ball in 2mm (the thickest available) seems to be the best for outdoor smoking. The 1mm size is marketed as being the most common for both indoor and out, but I don't see why the 2mm wouldn't serve both purposes equally well.
Here is a link to the official site: https://humboldt-traders.com/product/humboldt-hemp-wick/
Now, I know that there is a plastic shell that fits around a Bic lighter called a "Toker-Poker" that also utilizes the same wick. It isn't nearly as classy, but more practical for carrying around in your pocket. For both that and the bottle you just cut off whatever length you need and put the ball in a cupboard for later. They are both small capacity from the looks of it.
The 250ft wick ball is pretty small in size from what I read on Amazon. I watched a video on youtube of the 1mm width and it seemed to burn pretty quickly. Surely 250 feet would give you an unbelievable amount of pipe bowls though. The hemp wick has beeswax on it and it makes sense that the widest wick size would burn the slowest and have the most wind resistance. In my mind the 2mm at the 250ft length seems to be the best bang for the money.
The wick, bottles, and the Toker-Poker are all available on Amazon or their official sites. Amazon is cheaper for the wicks though by a full dollar are two, but only the 1mm width is available on there. I didn't check on the potential savings for the bottles.
Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Humboldt-Organic-Hemp-Spool-Hempwick/dp/B00DIQZ486/ref=pd_sim_121_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NHXXJPP8DEFVFFZ5YKD
This will definitely be something I pick up when I get some cash.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Not real sure of the length jkrug(probably 12- 18 inches) I made mine from a small glass bottle that had held fragrance oil. A dollar store item possibly.(made long ago) I drilled a hole in a small cork. Purchased hemp wick off ebay. I wrapped the wick around a pencil and slide it off into the bottle, threaded it thru the cork and Whalaa!

Status
Not open for further replies.