PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes when a person needs company but not conversation, if they can tolerate a pipe, it is a good way to spend time together in quiet, like after someone has been upset by a life situation or is in grieving. I can see a pipe/compassion connection there. Actually, the room note, if pleasant to the other person, might accentuate the presence and enhance the quality of quiet. Maybe? It might reassure the other person that you are content and present.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Nope haven’t gained any compassion from smoking a pipe. Any pipe time I’ve used to think why people do the things they do has caused me to loose compassion lol. I stopped trying to figure out the reason for some people’s actions a long time ago and I don’t regret it. It also goes against my favorite saying:
I looked up sympathy in the dictionary and it sat between the words sh!t and syphilis and I found it to be about as useful as them.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The pipe was integral to American Indian spirituality and a way to create unity. The rising smoke was a metaphor for spirit ascending. Pipe smoking was sacred. It doesn't really matter what you do but instead the intention with which you do it. Of course pipe smoking could be used to generate compassion. If that's your attention pray for compassion while you do it.

C

Corcoran-Rooney

The pipe was integral to American Indian spirituality and a way to create unity. The rising smoke was a metaphor for spirit ascending. Pipe smoking was sacred. It doesn't really matter what you do but instead the intention with which you do it. Of course pipe smoking could be used to generate compassion. If that's your attention pray for compassion while you do it.
Just what I was going to say, or something very close to it. Indigenous tribes would collectively smoke tobacco after signing peace, and other treatese. Of course by the time the Europeans adapt the habit, they make it a distinctily individualistic endeavour, as they are wont to do. The fact that so many find the idea of finding compassion through tobacco laughable, shows we all very much stand in the tradition of the latter, and are perhaps totally oblivious to the original uses of tobacco

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Just what I was going to say, or something very close to it. Indigenous tribes would collectively smoke tobacco after signing peace, and other treatese. Of course by the time the Europeans adapt the habit, they make it a distinctily individualistic endeavour, as they are wont to do. The fact that so many find the idea of finding compassion through tobacco laughable, shows we all very much stand in the tradition of the latter, and are perhaps totally oblivious to the original uses of tobacco
But I don’t see the tie to compassion.

C

Corcoran-Rooney

But I don’t see the tie to compassion.
I would say that taking part in collective experiences enhances empathy, and in turn compassion. That's not to say that sitting in one's room smoking a pipe alone will lead to enhanced compassion, but given the origins of tobacco, the suggestion that it may, whilst misguided, is not entirely without merit.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Sometimes when a person needs company but not conversation, if they can tolerate a pipe, it is a good way to spend time together in quiet, like after someone has been upset by a life situation or is in grieving. I can see a pipe/compassion connection there. Actually, the room note, if pleasant to the other person, might accentuate the presence and enhance the quality of quiet. Maybe? It might reassure the other person that you are content and present.
In my family, it was the smell of coffee in the room. I can see the room note of tobacco being good though.

Reactions: JOHN72