PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

creekspecter

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2011
Man... I smoke a pipe. I still use a brush with soap to shave. My most frequently used cookware is made out of cast iron. I'll pick up a fountain pen before a ball point. I know how to use a bound dictionary and thesaurus. Am I just old (fashioned), or riding the crest of a resurgence wave? All I know is, my life is not near as hectic as people tell me it should be. I'll take a rise in the number of pipe smokers, as long as it's accompanied by an increased enjoyment in the pace of life, and not a rush to see who can get to the end "first with the most."
On the side: Every time Ted sends out one of his newsletter updates, I'm compelled to order something. The power of timeless prose (well, they are pretty good stories he tells).

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I for one have always been a little different and even odd...I hope this pipe smoking thing never quite takes off! If it does, the prices will rise and my baccy will start to be hard to get. Besides, if it takes off I wont be weird enough and I will have to look for a different hobby!

ck12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2011
I think they whole problem is that the younger generations (mine seeing as im only 21) is taught from the get go that life it self is always go go go and never take time to slow down and enjoy things in life. They are always taught to get good things and get them fast, but what i have realized as i am starting to become more experienced with pipe smoking that not all good things come fast. Its ok to slow down and enjoy the whole process of smoking a pipe from packing it all the way to cleaning them out have become a joy to me.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Ck12, Thats what us old guys like to hear, just slow down and enjoy life, it goes by fast. :clap:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Getting into pipe smoking is a learning process. It's not a terribly difficult one, but at some point you have to have a desire not only to try something unfamiliar but to go get the supplies (which if you want to get confused really fast all you have to do is go on a pipe forum and ask "what should my first pipe be?" and then watch it turn into Monty Python's Sermon on the Mount Scene) then learn how to put it all together without lighting your face on fire or dropping the pipe in the toilet.
i think if there is a "craze" it will be short-lived, unless a movie comes out tomorrow featuring some badass antihero type, puffing on a black Peterson as he machineguns his enemies' knees off.
I do sense there being a gradual movement toward pipes out of necessity though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLl1RWlgw7o

ck12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2011
Ace57 and thats what i am finding so great about pipe smoking is that it makes you slow down and actually take the time out from a crazy busy world and enjoy life.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
mjtannen, thanks for the kind words. The best part of this business is the people. And that's probably because we're all pipe smokers.
creekspecter, glad you like the newsletter intros. I love to write 'em!

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I would say that pipe smoking is on the rise. I don't know if it is true though but that is just my opinion.

docgarr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2010
Getting back to the original posting, I decided to get some data on the problem. Using the 2008 and 2009 National Survey of Drug Use and Health, a national sample of over 35,000 adults in the US, here is what I found looking at the question, "Did you smoke a pipe in the past 30 days" and age:
Age 2008 2009

18-25 1.4% 1.7%

26-34 0.8% 0.7%

35-49 0.5% 0.5%

50 + 0.6% 0.7%
If you want me to dig further back with this survey, I can do it, if there is interest.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
"Pipe smoking craze.",......sounds kinda funny.
But then stranger things have crazed.
Urban Cowboy line dancing.
Cowboy hats covered in quail feathers.
And these guys;

untitled-1.png

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
dogcarr, if the question submitted to the poll made reference simply to "pipe" (rather than tobacco pipe) and didn't discern any difference between those smoking marijuana and those smoking tobacco I would certainly expect the 18-25 demographic to score higher.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Spyder, just pop on the smokingpipes.com site and sign up. You get regular updates from one of the best etailers in the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.