PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack87

Lurker
Jun 24, 2012
I am a sailor and part of what got me into pipe smoking was the tradition of sailors sitting around sharing story's and smoking baccy. There are a few guys on my ship that smoke a cob and I always bring a few ounces and pipes for anyone who asks to try. I guess I am trying to keep tradition alive but all this was threatened today when my ship said its moving to become tobacco free. I just got back from a month at sea and without my pipe I may have gone crazy! So what's your opinions about the military going tobacco free? I sure know that I will miss smoking a bowl while watching the waves. It just feels like that's what pipes were made for.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
I dont think they will get it done. Theyve been saying that since i got in, in '09

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
The service as a whole is still years from becoming totally tobacco free I think. But, any unit commander,

especially the Captain of a ship or Aircraft Commander in flight can make things very hard on smokers

if they wish to. The flight may only be a few hours aloft, but a ship at sea... Damn! (Sub Sailors can't

even 'sneek' a smoke and get away with it!... and a sub today can stay submerged for over three months).

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
I guess would just depend on your chain but if i wanted to smoke and they wanted to get their panties in a bunch i'd tell them where they can shove it but thats just me. Im not a boot and i refuse to be treated as such.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I guess I am trying to keep tradition alive but all this was threatened today when my ship said its moving to become tobacco free.

And you're out there fighting for our rights?

Thanks. We'll keep fighting for yours, too.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Wow - that is a raw deal. I have no words, but I hope it doesn't happen too soon for you.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I could see them making ships, flight lines and things of the such tobacco free, but its going to be hard to make the land guys go tobacco free. All they have to do is throw up the safety flag and it will happen. This just coming from my Army experience with helicopters. As soon as someone waves the safety flag its usually a done deal.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
It's already happening in some corporate settings, but with a choice. My son's work place,

a major chemical plant in Arkansas..... well maybe I should say his insurance company has

gone to charging 'much' higher rates for smokers. They have until next month to declare if

they use tobacco or not. (The one's who do declare and claim they don't smoke, chew or dip

will have unannounced mouth swabs, just like periodic drug testing).

jack87

Lurker
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah I am hoping they keep cigar call where we can smoke cigars and pipes out on the weather decks and not breath cigarette smoke. The XO is always out there for that so he may put his two cents in to keep that.

jack87

Lurker
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah now I need to find a perfect out to sea blend. This past month I have been smoking 1Q and sutluffs #5 blend. Now I wana find a super heavy English that will deliver the flavor.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if i wanted to smoke and they wanted to get their panties in a bunch i'd tell them where they can shove
I would pay good money to watch that exchange!

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
What can i say doc im a little belligerent when it comes to stuff like that and 4 years in the marine corps infantry has really brought that out in me. Lets put it this way my co. 1st sgt. Tried telling me i was extending my contract to do another pump to afghan less than 6 months after i had got back from there, needless to say he got the same response

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Hey Marine... Let an old Top lay it on Ya' a bit. Chill out, unwind some. No one's gonna take your pipe

away, your a combat vet! The Navy does that kinda thing on ships 'cause those commanders see no

action and their pissed about it! Air Base Generals don't lite the smoking lamp 'cause some ass

left a banana peal on the third tee of the golf course. I've seen non-smoking dickheads try and

preach their way of life because it makes them feel good and takes their mind off the sorry do

nothing life they are trying to fumble through. Don't be concerned about it... smoke your pipe as

long as it's in your hands.... No combat Marine Commander will take that away as long as your

hitting targets. I guarantee! Just do what you're trained to do so I can go to sleep and know

I'm safe..... It's your damn turn, I'm sleepy... time for a nap

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
Oh im not pissed off top i was just giving my 2 cents, i know no one will take away my pipe haha

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
My opinion about the military going tobacco-free?
It's the same as my opinion about ANYTHING going tobacco-free, and I won't sully this forum with any of my choice words describing those nincompoops.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
No one can make you go "tobacco free". But, they can make Bases,Ships,Subs etc. smoke free. Canadian Hospitals done it, Canadian Prisions done it, and the list goes on mate. Your own time, is your own time. Can't tell you what to do in your off time but they can keep you from lighting up on their property.

Status
Not open for further replies.