PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
lift weights three to five times a week
Me too. I attribute most of my injuries like a dislocated collar bone while bench pressing and a strained hamstring tendon while running and a sore quadriceps tendon while heavy squatting to the fact that I'm 50 now. I smoke pipes, cigars, and cigarettes but don't really inhale much, plus wintergreen dip. I like to dip while I'm lifting. I can do weighted pull-ups (hang plates on a dip belt), get in the upper 200's on squat, the lower 200's on bench, and the upper 300's on the deadlift. Yes, I could do more, but I rather not push my luck and tear something at this point. My cousin who's a little older than me had to have bicep reattachment surgery and rotator cuff surgery from trying to keep up with his strapping 25 yr. old son in the gym. He had a hard time recovering. Also, I'm somewhat fat, so that slows me down, coupled together with age. I'm sure if I dropped about 25 pounds, I'd be faster. Smoking and dipping can't really be helping my overall athleticism, though, if I'm being honest.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Think of it like training with a parachute.

222-Sprintfallschirm-1.jpg

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Butter Side Down

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
I'm a fairly die hard tennis player and I smoke a pipe. I usually play for 2 hours 3 x a week, both casually and in competitive leagues. But honestly it's hard for me to say how much it affects my performance because I was already older and I already smoked a pipe before I took up tennis. I play mostly doubles and when I do play singles, I'll admit usually do get winded before my opponent in long rallies. But that could also be because I'm an old dude and the people I play are generally younger and fitter.

I still battle back and forth with cigarettes and I can say for sure that those definitely have a very noticeable effect.

ziv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2024
South Florida
I'm a fairly die hard tennis player and I smoke a pipe. I usually play for 2 hours 3 x a week, both casually and in competitive leagues. But honestly it's hard for me to say how much it affects my performance because I was already older and I already smoked a pipe before I took up tennis. I play mostly doubles and when I do play singles, I'll admit usually do get winded before my opponent in long rallies. But that could also be because I'm an old dude and the people I play are generally younger and fitter.

I still battle back and forth with cigarettes and I can say for sure that those definitely have a very noticeable effect.
Do you notice any difference between how high nic vs low nic tobaccos affect you?

BingBong

Lifer
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I've always smoked, so wouldn't be able to tell any difference. Been pushing myself about in a wheelchair for 37 years, many of those maxing out up hill and down dale; also, I intensively weight trained for about 10 years. I was sometimes spotted thrashing up a steep hill with a RYO smouldering in my mouth, did peoples' heads in.

I think anything that gets you into max breathing for substantial periods is going to clear out any crud from smoking - but possibly warm-up periods become more critical. I always had to get "over the hump" in the first 15 minutes of intense activity, then I was fine.

Nicotine also helps mental acuity, which is probably beneficial in many sporting activities.

Reactions: ziv