PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I'm not smart enough to make much sense out of raw report data but here's my question:

Is the data organized somewhere where one could select the tracked statistics and get updated resulting information based off of those selected data points?

Maybe it's there and I can't find it, but when someone gives me a comprehensive report at work that tracks say a dozen different data points, I can select ones I want to see the relevant results. That would be really nice here.

Reactions: JOHN72

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
Like Fireground Piper, I have difficulty determining the actual degree of increases in the various cancers by the way the statistics are presented. I'm interested, but unlikely to toss my pipes, much due to my age (74) and very moderate pipe smoking. I'll be watching this thread...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The "results" paragraph sums things up pretty well. While the info and conclusions are interesting I'll just continue to trust my genes and accept the risks. Smokers are, after all, risk takers who stay in shape jumping through hoops, seeking validation for our choices, contorting various reports and citations, but, mostly, sitting on our dead arses at the computer participating in mostly nonsensical debates, debates of the same subjects over and over ad infinitum. Mostly what we consider to be time well wasted. :sher:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
We often complain that the studies of pipe smokers are usually skewed by the fact that many participants are also (or have been in the past) users of other forms of tobacco.

Well, it turns out that there is an ongoing study of people who are exclusive pipe smokers.

Discuss.

"Conclusion: Results from this large prospective study suggest that pipe smoking confers a risk of tobacco-associated disease similar to cigar smoking."

I could have told them that for half price. How do I get my grant money?

PaulDM

Lurker
Dec 12, 2022
It's a risk. Period. How much? Who really knows. Reasonable to assume that it is less than smoking cigarettes and that frequency of smoking is relevant. Given all the environmental risk factors we already encounter, my personal view is that an occasional pipe (eg 1-2x per week) is a minimal incremental risk.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Contaminated water, food industry clogged with carcinogenic components, fruits and vegetables with pesticides, milk with pesticides, meat industry, sports food loaded with chemical sweeteners. Environmental pollution. Home furnishings. The cases of cancer in young people, who neither smoke nor drink, is overwhelming. And so many other diseases. Stress, anxiety, depression. It's a whole bunch of factors that are appropriate for it. This is simply a personal reflection. Unfortunately, this is life. As a believer. The only thing I can do is pray the rosary. To commend myself to God.

Last edited:

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
That was a fascinating read. Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that there were any studies that covered pipe smoking exclusively.

It looks like the highest RR (risk-ratio) among pipe smokers is for larynx cancer. It's actually slightly higher even than cigarettes which is interesting. Table 3 pretty clearly shows that 1-3 bowl a day pipe smokers don't have nearly the same risks as those that smoke 11 or more bowls a day. I wish that they had a table or chart that combined the bowls per day and duration smoked variables. For example, the risk of a 3 bowl a day smoker for 50 years as opposed to a 10 bowl a day smoker for 10 years.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Pipe smokers live longer!

I skimmed it.. i just dont believe "studies" anymore.

Maybe it's best to believe nothing your're told by the universities or the government. After all the stuff that has gone on the past few years, I have to squint my eyes to believe that we landed on the moon.

And the bull "they" say about the risks of smokeless tobacco and second hand smoke is such lies.. hell for all I know tobacco is good for you.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
The summary is pretty clear and seems like common sense. Similar risk to cigar smoking. The number of pipes per day and the number of years can change the risk. The depth of inhalation matters. (Don't inhale at all I say).

As has been stated on here numerous times, don't over heat the pipe. If you have irritation take a break. Change tobaccos. Try filters. Smoke as cool a bowl as possible. Change the place in the mouth you hold the pipe regularly. Get regular dental check ups where the dentist checks the mouth. Have a decent GP you get a regular physical from. All consistent with staying healthy generally.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
In the end there's a cremation oven waiting for me already paid for. I'm going to enjoy what I can all the way down.
That's great. I too, on direct orders from my wife, will go straight to the crematorium. The only thing I ask, is that they leave me enough cell phone battery, when the cremation starts, it bores me to be in the fire for a long time. and in the dark.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's great. I too, on direct orders from my wife, will go straight to the crematorium. The only thing I ask, is that they leave me enough cell phone battery, when the cremation starts, it bores me to be in the fire for a long time. and in the dark.
If I know ahead of time that I'm dying I plan on eating a jar of unpopped popcorn.💥rotf