Pipe Smoking: A Thinking Man's Hobby or a Respite from Mental Chatter?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Might Stick Around
Nov 7, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Please capitalize important words in titles. - jpm.

I always thought that smoking a pipe would stimulate the mind and help me reflect on things that were stressing me out or causing me problems in life but I find when I light up my bowl I'm almost completely thoughtless and more focused on the subtleties of the pipe. I'm not sure if this is because I'm fairly new to the pipe smoking hobby or maybe this is just me still learning the cadence of the pipe or the nuances of a smoldering bowl.

So I guess as my session comes to a close I just wanted to ask what is your guys experience with this? Do you find you are more reflective and active minded when your smoking a pipe or is it more of a meditation in which you sort of become one with the pipe for that brief period of time and fall in rhythm with it? Happy piping!

Last edited by a moderator:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I'm still learning, and sometimes I'm focused on some of the same things, like technique and maybe trying too hard to discern this or that. But a bowl enjoyed on the deck a couple of weeks ago is memorable for just the relaxing aspect of it and one enjoyed by the fire quietly celebrating some good news a week ago was particularly nice, more like an easy going, second nature sort of thing. Mostly though, I'm still learning, trying different pipes and tobaccos and relighting without remorse, lol.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I smoke a pipe because it is my preferred method of indulging in that glorious gift bestowed from God to man, tobacco. It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle really.

Yes, I may indulge a little here and there, but I don't treat pipe smoking as a hobby. Sometimes I sit purposefully and enjoy the quiet peaceably, sometimes I contemplate & ruminate, but mostly I just put tobacco in my pipe and smoke it.

P.S. If you didn't get the memo, we're not allowed to say the "p" word in the forums any more. ?

Talon

Might Stick Around
Nov 7, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Also not a "hobbyist". And not into "piping"! But it's all over the place for me. Sometimes reflective and calming, sometimes just smoking as I do other things, such as walking the dog and playing golf.
Fair enough, I use the term Hobby in this case directly how it's defined:

an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

Seems pretty simple to me in that regard, the piping term I can agree sounds a little silly and I more threw it in there for lack of a good closer.

Talon

Might Stick Around
Nov 7, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I smoke a pipe because it is my preferred method of indulging in that glorious gift bestowed from God to man, tobacco. It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle really.

Yes, I may indulge a little here and there, but I don't treat pipe smoking as a hobby. Sometimes I sit purposefully and enjoy the quiet peaceably, sometimes I contemplate & ruminate, but mostly I just put tobacco in my pipe and smoke it.

P.S. If you didn't get the memo, we're not allowed to say the "p" word in the forums any more. ?
Haha, fair enough.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fair enough, I use the term Hobby in this case directly how it's defined:

an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
That's a crap definition. What is your source?

By that one, a stroll down a path is a hobby. I sure don't consider golf or tennis a hobby. Nor having sex for that matter.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Definitely a respite.

That's why I choose never to smoke at work or if I'm doing something active eg yard work or gardening.

Always at a time set aside to enjoy a pipe or two uninterrupted on weekends or when on vacation.

Reactions: danish and JOHN72

Rustamgtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2021
Baku, Azerbaijan
Pipe smoking for me is not a hobby... wrong word ?
And also it's not a something special or incredible.
Smoke, drinking some cacao or coffee or whatever and just relax ?, no thinking about matters or rules or meaning of life. Just good taste, good flavor no talks.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
It’s definitely a sort of meditation for me, but my meditative state is also my creative state, so there’s still some activity going on up there, just of a different kind. I can do laborious work while smoking but I like at least a few moments in the pipe trance.

Im also tasting and analyzing the blend too, but that’s about the same for both states of mental activity

Status
Not open for further replies.