PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I've found that in 50 years of pipe smoking I've followed more of a process of elimination than of variety. In the beginning I had to try everything. I couldn't pass a tobacconist without buying a few tins out of curiosity. Slowly I found out the differences in types of leaf and found myself liking simple burleys and more complex Virginia based blends. Eventually I gravitated to lots of Edgeworth Slice and lots of Stokkebye Luxury Twist and Navy flakes. Since being on this forum I've been exposed to others in those categories. Now I smoke mostly Derringer, Bayou Morning and either Stokkebye Cube Cut or Sutliff Edgeworth match.
Maybe it's due to age but I no longer want the unfamiliar and lots of variety in my tobaccos. Perhaps it's true codgerism but I like my smokes to be like old friends, reliable, familiar and known. I am never bored with them and I think I know their subtitles and nuances.
I certainly don't denigrate those of you that like many blends in your stables.
Anyone else share my sentiments?

Eliable

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have a handful (4) of blends which are always available. Rarely will I read a review which tickles my interest enough to purchase a tin. But, I've never been that adventurous. I'm not a fan of surprises, good or bad, so I don't venture from my routine very often. I doubt since I started pipes back in the mid-60's that I tried more than a hundred different blends.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I have a handful (4) of blends which are always available. Rarely will I read a review which tickles my interest enough to purchase a tin. But, I've never been that adventurous. I'm not a fan of surprises, good or bad, so I don't venture from my routine very often. I doubt since I started pipes back in the mid-60's that I tried more than a hundred different blends.
I agree. My pipes become redolent of my favorite four blends. Ghosting sure isn't a problem either. I guess I'm the same with alcohol, asI drink only bourbon and Irish Whiskey. All my tobaccos come in bulk so it's cheaper to stockpile my favorites.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It's only through trial and error that most people settle on their favourites - whether it is tobacco, pipe or food/drink. It's understandable that someone coming to pipes and tobacco is going to be like a child in a lolly shop for the very time.

It's taken me sometime to appreciate the (relative) subtleties of VaPers compared to the very much bolder flavours of latakia and oriental blends. I am now trying different VaPers to see why I like some over others. In time I will probably settle on 2 or 3 favourites.
But I am enjoying going through the process at this moment.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
It's only through trial and error that most people settle on their favourites - whether it is tobacco, pipe or food/drink. It's understandable that someone coming to pipes and tobacco is going to be like a child in a lolly shop for the very time.

It's taken me sometime to appreciate the (relative) subtleties of VaPers compared to the very much bolder flavours of latakia and oriental blends. I am now trying different VaPers to see why I like some over others. In time I will probably settle on 2 or 3 favourites.
But I am enjoying going through the process at this moment.
Good for you. That's the right approach in the early days. At some point it's good to spend a bit of time with the ones that tickle your fancy. @UncleRasta has expressed this a few times. Jumping around too much can confuse your palate and cause you to miss what a blend is offering.
More and more I find myself really looking forward to lighting up my favs and less intrigued by the novel. Probably old guy syndrome!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've cut way way back on trying new blends. I did recently try some of the Robert McConnell Heritage series, to hold me over until (fingers crossed) Dark Flake and MM1938 get released over here. I haven't tried anything from HU; I don't chase limited editions. I quite enjoyed Penzance, back when it was easy to get, but I refuse to chase unobtanium.
A lot of the variety in my smoking, now, comes from my former practice of buying 2 tins of a new Virginia, one for now, and one to age, so there is still a good amount stashed away. But what I reach for the most are the high-quality, simple, all-day smokes.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I am that way with both pipes and tobacco blends. I have my favorite blend I smoke every day (Luxury Twist Flake), 2 others that are similar (F&T Vintage, Cut Blended Plug) I use for a little variety, and one G&H Broken Flake #7) that is completely different. I rarely smoke anything else. Pipe wise, other than a couple bang arounds, all my pipes are three shape by two makers. Like you, I prefer comfort and reliability to variety and adventure, at least as far as smoking is concerned.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I have a feeling I’ll get to a similar place eventually, although it’ll be more like 40 or 50 blends, haha. Having only been a pipe smoker for 2 years, I’m still trying a lot of variety, but have gone deep on a dozen or s
I am surprised to read that you have been a pipesmoker for only two years, as you are both very knowledgeable and an impressive collector. Nice going...

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
My tastes tend to be wide ranging. I regularly enjoy sampling new blends. I think part of my fascination with pipe smoking is there is a never ending amount of opportunities to experiment, and try new ideas. I do have some favorites that are in my pipe more often than others, and some pipes that I smoke more regularly than others, but overall being able to still be surprised, and curious of new ideas makes for a lot fun on my end.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's only been three years. I know what I like, but I also know my taste might change. Have small stash, but they are more for back up. So far only opened same blend twice. There are so many blends out there, it would take me rather long time to sample them all. Hopefully, they will all continue to be available.