PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
I made peace a long time ago that I am going to die eventually. I try to enjoy my life and all the little vices I have a long the way add to that enjoyment. If you spend your days fearing death you'll forget to enjoy life. At least that's my motto.
Mark Twain said it best I think and I quote, "I don’t want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it."

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Public Health Service Publication No. 1103

I believe that's from the 1964 report in OCR text format to which I linked.

I have no opinion. I was just quoting from the report in response to the OP's query.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I always wondered about the 1964 Surgeon General report's efficacy. Like did they control for income? These days, the average pipe smoker seems a bit wealthier than the average American, and I wonder if it might have been similar back then. And people who make more live longer, which was especially true in the 60s, when healthcare was harder to come by.
So my thought is that the 50 year old report probably doesn't apply to my life. I think that pipe smoking might kill me a couple years sooner than if I were a non smoker, just as eating more than token amounts of meat. But basically I don't give a shit. The point isn't to outlast everyone.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Re-read what I wrote. I am not claiming a conspiracy. I am citing a well known fact that research follows the money.
Okay.
I suspect that the results would go against the State-sponsored party line, dooming the tenure track and future grant potential of the researchers.
Guess I read too much into the phrase "State-sponsored party line", then. I was proffering the money put up by Big Tobacco as a counter - as with the Enstrom/Kabat study on second-hand smoke, which actually supports both of our points. Enstrom has had to vigorously defend himself for accepting research grant money from Phillip Morris, and he's pointed out some of the limits of the data sets compiled by the American Cancer Institute, which formed the basis of his analysis.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
deithial wrote:
Mark Twain said it best I think and I quote, "I don’t want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it."
That's the best quote I've heard in a LONG time! Thanks!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I don't have time to read the full reports from the CDC, but I've been reading the executive summaries. Ninety-nine percent of the data relates to the ill effects of smoke inhalation . Cortez has pulled some of the non-inhalation pipe related texts in his post above.
My summary of the summaries would be, "You would probably be better off not smoking a pipe, but you would be unhappier. We really don't know".
AS for me, I'm going to enjoy a bowl of tobacco every evening after dinner with a glass of wine or scotch. Then we'll see which one of those kills me first.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
he's pointed out some of the limits of the data sets compiled by the American Cancer Institute, which formed the basis of his analysis.

You can say that again.

he's pointed out some of the limits of the data sets compiled by the American Cancer Institute, which formed the basis of his analysis.
ACS has a mission, and they are not going to allow any gray area into their materials. They are not detached researchers, they are an advocacy group. That's not necessarily a bad thing thing, AFIIC, but it just needs to be understood in that light.

Aug 14, 2012
This is very interesting. Numbers can be manipulated to mean almost anything, or the text used in connection with those numbers. Pipesmokers live longer? Probably. It has nothing to do with smoking though. Pipesmokers are among the more relaxed people, which is why we tend to live longer.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I think you have to take the 1964 report with a grain of salt. After all, this report is 50 years old! I'm not saying that some of the data from the report isn't relevant, but like everything in the medical and scientific fields, advances in technology and continued research and new data often provides updated results and new conclusions. I think today if you were to try and cite the 1964 report as a justification for the benefits of pipe smoking you could open yourself up for criticism by those who will argue that the report is "outdated".
That said, I think we have to be careful what you wish for if we look towards the hope of obtaining new updated research on the effects (positive or negative) on pipe smoking. In a perfect world we would like to think that researchers are impartial and will report their findings free of any bias, but unfortunately, most researchers do bring a level of bias into their research. First of all, research studies cost money and often times the entities or organizations that sponsor these studies do so because they have a vested interest in the research. If the CDC or the American Cancer Institute, for example, were to sponsor such a study, odds are that the study will be weighted towards anti-smoking. Also, if a researcher starts out with an anti-tobacco bias, the chances are that this bias will impact his/her findings.
In the end, I think we're left with the fact that there probably are some legitimate concerns regarding lip, throat and tongue cancers, but there is probably also a legitimate argument to be made that pipe smoking does offer some benefits such as reducing stress. I'm a firm believer in everything in moderation whether it be with what you eat, drink, or smoke. As informed adults, we make our own choices and if pipe smoking brings enjoyment to you, then by all means enjoy your tobacco.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Those of you who are frightened about the dangers of pipe smoking are hereby cordially invited to cease smoking. It's that simple. For the rest of us, I would call to your attention the simple fact that one charbroiled hamburger contains far more known carcinogens than a large number of bowls of tobacco-not to mention a steak. Are you going to stop your backyard barbecues as well?. Face it – you're going to die – of something. You live once; life isn't a dress rehearsal. Are you willing to take the risks of pipe smoking, hamburgers, air travel, crossing the street – etc, or will you barricade yourself in a locked room contemplating all the things you might have done? I'm with Mark Twain, and that's what this forum is about. If reading about the dangers of pipe smoking worries you, quit reading.

masterpython

Might Stick Around
Sep 18, 2013
I really wonder how well they controlled for demographics back then. If pipe smokers have more money than non smokers that could make them live longer too.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I really wonder how well they controlled for demographics back then. If pipe smokers have more money than non smokers that could make them live longer too.
That has always been my issue with this study. Thinking that smoking a pipe makes you live longer seems wishful thinking to me. It might coincide with a few things that make you live longer, but it probably doesn't cause them, and people always seem to want to spin this study into that. The cancer risks are there for all of us to see, and no amount of sticking our collective head into the sand won't change that. Smoking a pipe might have some secondary benefits like relaxation et al, but relaxation isn't going to prevent cancer.
And all that said, I think most of us have done our own cost/benefit analysis of this and decided that the health risks are worth it. I certainly have. As others have said, we're going to die of something, and I'm not going to give up meat or carbs or bicycling through traffic or smoking or being exposed to UV rays or whatever it is that makes me happy to prolong my life a little bit. These are little things that add up to a life that feels good and worthwhile to me.
There are certainly worse habits to have, and as far as habits go, this one is likely less harmful than motorcycling without a helmet or playing chicken with your liver or serial fornicating with divebar denizens. But there are risks to smoking a pipe and I don't care for the attitude of rejecting all research related to smoking except for a fifty year old report with flimsy methodology.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I remember the first time my wife made me meet with a financial advisor to plan for my retirement. She asked me what I had saved away for my retirement and whether I carried life insurance. My answer shocked her. "One Single Bullet." Cheap, and effective. Until then, I'm smoking my pipe as much as I want, without fear.
In reality, she sold me on some mutual funds and a Roth IRA.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I have wondered about the demographics of that study also. At that time period (1950-1960), pipe smoking was done by all economic classes. I do not think that relative wealth would be a factor. I recall that fathers of my friends that were in the upper end smoked OTC tobaccos, PA,SWR, London Dock, Mixture 79 , etc.. I did not see the tinned tobaccos until I got to a University town. JMO.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
I could have a heart attack while having sex....... I'm not going to give that up either! The reward out weighs the risk in my opinion. See you on the other side eventually my friends.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
What about chemicals sprayed on tobacco? Who were these smokers? What other risk factors did they have? Did they have exposure to other carcinogens. Allegedly good studies should take this into account. Was it a good study? When you're done, the good lord"ll take you home.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
When you're done, the good lord"ll take you home.
While I wholeheartedly agree with SCO's take on the risk-benefit assessment, I can't embrace the idea of "when it's time, it's time". Undoubtedly, one can, and probably will, outlive most of their risk factors. Statistically, that's how it happens. But the more risks one adds to their lifestyle, the greater the chance is that something that you chose to do will kill you. Not fate, not destiny, not the Lord's will, but by your own hand. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Now, I'm not always the brightest bulb in the pack when it comes to self-preservation, but the Risk:Happiness (R:H) ratio of smoking a pipe is (as far as I know) so damned high, that I'm not concerned. Right now. It could change for me if new information alters that ratio. But based on anecdotal evidence, I don't see that happening.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
I would say most things everyone enjoys is bad for you or can kill. I ran around many years in the military where most things are dangerous and can kill you. I didn't quit that. Don't think I and going to stop enjoying my pipe either. JMO

Bukowski-quote-Find-what-you-love-and-let-it-kill-you.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.