PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I abandoned that forum several years ago. I'm happy where I am. I do remember the site hacked pretty good a while back and required everyone to re-up. I never bothered.
Mike S.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Interesting, Mike S. it's odd that there is no way to contact the site moderators unless signed in. And there is no contact us on the site. It was fun while it lasted.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I abandoned that forum several years ago. I'm happy where I am. I do remember the site hacked pretty good a while back and required everyone to re-up. I never bothered.
Mike S.

Wasn't that Smokersform.uk not Pipesmokersforum? 8O

smokehouse

Lurker
Mar 21, 2010
Smokersforum was the one that got hacked not to be confused with pipesmokersforum.
Pipesmokersforum in a good forum. A lot of good people on there. Good luck trying to join.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Looks like a purge of non-conformists. The "technical difficulties" explanation increasingly appears to be a shield.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Just baffles me.
Forums are difficult. You want freedom of expression, but some people will use it to destroy forums. There is no such thing as a "(total) free speech" forum.
However, other people view forums as an extension of their identities, and when this personality type runs a forum, they do more than remove threats to expression -- they eliminate dissent.
Those are good forums to avoid. It kills them through slow entropy eventually because discussion limits itself, and those limits then expand as people try to toe the line, and over time it becomes an echo chamber.

May 31, 2012
Forums are difficult. You want freedom of expression, but some people will use it to destroy forums. There is no such thing as a "(total) free speech" forum.
However, other people view forums as an extension of their identities, and when this personality type runs a forum, they do more than remove threats to expression -- they eliminate dissent.
Those are good forums to avoid. It kills them through slow entropy eventually because discussion limits itself, and those limits then expand as people try to toe the line, and over time it becomes an echo chamber.
So true.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
jpberg is active again as of 5 hours ago, but no response to private messages re: PSF:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/stonehavenjj-f-germain-amp-co-customer-support-draw-your-own-conclusion/page/3#post-846963

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Hey, I'm back on, just in case any body is looking. It's kind of creepy, but at the same a bit flattering to know that you have followers.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
jp - are you suggesting you are back HERE (pipe mag) or were you one of us that have had issues getting on Pipe Smokers Forum, but now back on there?? Please 'splain.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I've seen a 500 error at several forums. I don't know what it means.
500 is pretty much the web's generic, catch-all error. Basically a script failed to execute or wasn't allowed to.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
I actually had the same issue for this forum a while ago, and it also prevented me from downloading the radio show. Kevin was most helpful sorting it out quickly for me as soon as I emailed him. My IP address just got caught up in a regular purge of spam cleaning, or something. I guess these things happen - it's nothing personal.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I guess these things happen - it's nothing personal.
When "things happen," admins reply to email (sent to three different known contacts).
This is someone hiding behind the excuse of "technical difficulties" to conduct some kind of purge.
They're not honest enough to admit it, which usually means they are embarrassed to admit why.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread. Maybe we'll get some good "necro" memes.
I'm getting the same errors trying to log onto pipesmokersforum. Are they technical, or Stalinistic purges? I'm off work for carpal tunnel surgery (typing one handed) and registering on a bunch of forums, piping and otherwise.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like they're killing their own user base, ad revenue and visibility. I'm surprised they're still around from two years ago. Won't bother with them. Mostly, I can behave without their authoritarianism.

Status
Not open for further replies.