PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I worked on the upcoming Oppenheimer movie (or did it come out) spent a lot of time identifying his pipes, locating vintage models, getting multiples of those and staining, stressing them to be alike. Findin triplicates of each, etc.

Unfortunately, I had to back out due to family health issues at the time but I’ll say the prop department and prop master I dealt with only was very serious about pipe accuracy and there are plenty in this movie. I’m bummed I didn’t get to complete it and not sure who is now but it’ll be a great pipe spotting movie to watch. :)
I watched Oppenheimer on IMAX last tuesday. Unfortunately the music and sound effects volume was so loud I had to put my fingers in my ears, then take them out when talking was involved. It was very distracting, and pissed me off.

With regard to Oppenheimer and pipes, you saw him several times with a pipe in his mouth, or in his hand, but unfortunately you never see him actually smoke the pipe, much less load it etc. Which was a little disappointing.

Reactions: Uguccione

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I worked on the upcoming Oppenheimer movie (or did it come out) spent a lot of time identifying his pipes, locating vintage models, getting multiples of those and staining, stressing them to be alike. Findin triplicates of each, etc.

Unfortunately, I had to back out due to family health issues at the time but I’ll say the prop department and prop master I dealt with only was very serious about pipe accuracy and there are plenty in this movie. I’m bummed I didn’t get to complete it and not sure who is now but it’ll be a great pipe spotting movie to watch. :)
Oh yeah .. my wife and I saw it in imax last week. It was a hell of a movie, and pipe smoking was heavily involved. They even showed eintestein puffing in one of the scenes. The historical character, opppenheimer, was from what I understand an avid smoker - as portrayed in the movie, he smoked anything that wasn't nailed to the floor. I believe he died fairly premature, 62, due to his chain smoking habit.

Raisedbands

Lurker
Jan 8, 2022
New York
IMG_2527.jpegDead Poets Society 1989 (starring Robin Williams, Ethan Hawke etc.): In the “Cave Scene” they smoke their fathers’ pipes. (One kid even states (something like) “my dad collects pipes” and another says facetiously, “oh, that SO INTERESTING”.😂.)

IAMLEGEND1204

Lurker
Apr 5, 2023
Tacoma, Washington
It is not exactly "smoking" nor is it in the movies, but I noticed in one of Tucker Carlson's Twitter interviews that in the background of the guest's angle are some smoking pipes...right?

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
With regard to Oppenheimer and pipes, you saw him several times with a pipe in his mouth, or in his hand, but unfortunately you never see him actually smoke the pipe, much less load it etc. Which was a little disappointing.
I noticed that too and it also bummed me out. The cynic in me thought: Invent something that kills thousands of people in one go? 😎👍 Smoke a pipe? 😡👎

Reactions: Egg Shen

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I noticed that too and it also bummed me out. The cynic in me thought: Invent something that kills thousands of people in one go? 😎👍 Smoke a pipe? 😡👎
pipes are a pain in the ass in filming. Or can be especially if you have a director like the guy who made this movie. The term used is continuity issues.
I wish I could remember what movie I saw that was some b movie (if even that) where every scene the one guy lit his pipe and the tobacco levels magically moved up and down with no sense. And I remember realizing why pipes can be a pain in the ass for filming take after take.

Reactions: sardonicus87

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I just downloaded INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY. When I hit plays this is the very first thing I saw.

Imggddage1.jpg
I was glad they warned me, there is about a 2 second shot of someone with a pipe and a couple of scenes of Nazis smoking cigarettes. Oh, the horror!

However, half the movie consisted of people being shot, blown up, drowned, speared, smashed and stabbed. So I guess it had some redeeming qualities after all. puffy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
9-11 INSIDE AIR FORCE ONE, DOCUMENTARY FILM.

Note the pipe ashtray in the fore ground. From the look of the cork knocker it looks like it's never been used. Two more ashtrays on the right. Bush was known to be a pipe smoker. puffy

I657umage1.jpg