PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kleptomania runs deep, apparently. It really violates the whole idea of a pipe show, which is based on common interest and a community of people. Retailers have to figure it into their overhead. I'm always irked when pipe shops put pipes under glass, but I understand the problem. It makes me much less likely to buy. I don't want to be meditating over a pipe while a staff person drums their fingers. It takes me an hour to decide. But that's the price we all pay for the personality disorders of the few. Childrearing requires careful and repeated explanations of ownership in a child's formative years, and enough gifts so a kid doesn't spend the rest of their lives trying to steal the gifts they never got, and some people are incurable. Always deeply disturbing to have ones stuff taken.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Childrearing requires careful and repeated explanations of ownership in a child's formative years, and enough gifts so a kid doesn't spend the rest of their lives trying to steal the gifts they never got, and some people are incurable. Always deeply disturbing to have ones stuff taken.
Mso
A difficult thing, being a parent.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Interesting thread- a couple of thoughts...
I'll be at Chicago with maybe 27 pipes. Greta and I will usually sell about half of what we take to a show...so on the last day, anything we still have on the table will go to a couple of our favorite wholesalers- that is the day when deals can be had.
We also love deals on multiple pipes....or sometimes, to sweeten a deal, I'll throw in some tobacco- I think at the Nashville Show I gave away 3 bags of Stonehaven rather than discounting pipes...
...and sometimes, we'll do something that most would consider bad business- I sold a couple of pipes to a guy who was going to pay us in 30 days- still haven't seen the money, but I know we'll get it by Chicago. He's a gentleman with a bit of a difficult circumstance...but we'll end up with a loyal customer and our money at the end of the day.
...and finally- if you find a pipe that you like at a show, you can have a picture of that pipe taken with Greta- just don't forget- you only get to take the pipe home- not Greta...:)

2na00gj.jpg

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
...and finally- if you find a pipe that you like at a show, you can have a picture of that pipe taken with Greta- just don't forget- you only get to take the pipe home- not Greta...:)

That's worth the asking price.. holy moly she's stunning.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I'm comfortable 'haggling' with used pipe dealers. I would not with carvers unless they were new with no rep and were asking the same as established carvers. I also do s slow burn when a customer starts talking with a vendor like they were long lost buddies while people with money in hand queue up.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
When walking around a pipe show, every pipe I pick up I measure the bowl with my thumb, and then test how the bit feels in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.