PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Hi all, just made a change to my flight home to have dinner with a couple of friends in London, does anyone have recomendations for "must visit" pipe shops in London? I have about 4 to 6 hrs in the town center tomorrow, and would love to visit a great pipe shop. Cheers for any advice!!

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
JJ Fox at St James's in London I well worth a visit. It's one of the oldest in london and is where Winston Churchill used to get his cigars.

Alternatively there is one in covent garden which is small but they have a few of their own blends to try something different.

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
I don't know any "must visit" tobacconists in London but there is one at Charing Cross (underground station). It's called G. Smith & Sons or something of the like. You just go a little bit up Chinatown. I've been there 2 weeks ago and regret not buying a good Parker for 25 pounds or two more cool & sweets but nevermind. They offer house blends but these are made my Murray and Sons, which is not bad either. I bought 1 pouch of 1869 which is very interesting, a soapy English with sweet Perique and lovely Orientals.
You can get there with the Picadilly Line which goes from London/Heathrow, so you may give it a consideration if you arrive on that airport. It would take you 1 hour, but i'm not so sure whether other shops are closer by unless you are incredibly lucky.
Hope you have a nice stay there. English blends are a pleasure in the cold London weather.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Robert Lewis

19 St James's Street

London

SW1A 1ES

Telephone:- 0207 9303787 Fax:- 0207 9251465

Email:- freddie@jjfox.co.uk

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Thanks guys, much appreciated, I will make an effort to get to St James. I used to live in London, but I was even more of a pipe ignoramus then, than I am now! I used to have 1 Dr Grabow I had brought from home and only smoked it once or twice a month (with CBW I got from home no less!!!) , I was really fond/proud of it though, I just literally had no idea how much more was on offer from pipesmoking...
I thought/was hoping there might be a Dunhill Pipe shop/outlet, I have never even seen a Dunhill in real life ... I am pretty sure there is a dunhill shop down on Jermyn St, but i don't know if they will have pipes there? I'll check it out anyhow... Cheers and have a good evening

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Dunhills is on Duke St, SW1. Harries and selfridges also had a pipe section last time I was in London, it was useful as I could enjoy the pipes the people I was with wandered around the store and we net up with our respective purchases. I second JJ Fox!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Anyone have any updates to this?

I am lucky enough to be in London for their pipe club meeting on the 8th. (Fox-Lewis in St. James')

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
She's in Scotland so no queenly hand waving.
I have found that Dukes hotel is blocked! Horrors has been all three days I've been there. Can someone notify a mod please? My time on this wifi is running out.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
G Smith & Sons on Charing Cross Road have long since vanished to sadly be replaced by a coffee shop. I used to buy my Twist tobacco and Turkish cigarettes from them back in the mid 1980s.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, Warren. Problem just fixed, though I am AT Duke's; it was that the IP address was blocked on Pmag.com, so couldn't get on here, except briefly from another location.
All's well now, except there's not a single shop in Burlington Arcade, nor Picadilly. Did find the shop in Covent Garden, and picked up a nice bent billiard, dark blast, that are made for them. Now off the the London Pipe Club gathering.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Condor-
As I am sure you know, you can't get a sample- not even a quarter bowl- due to law, not cheapness. And the smallest sale, some fraction of an ounce, would run over ten bucks. Then, if you like it, a pound would cost a small fortune. So I am not sampling any tobaccos, unless the Pipe Club does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.