PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I’m going to Vegas later this summer and I’m hoping some of you may be able to help me out. I’m not a big gambler and I’m not too interested in going to ‘shows’. I am however an avid pipe smoker and a bit of a dive bar aficionado. I want to plan a dive bar pub crawl for myself and my brother-in-law and hit up a couple pipe shops if possible.

I’d like to hear any recommendations you all might have regarding classic dives and or quality pipe shops/tobacconists that are within reasonable Uber distance from the strip.
Thanks in advance

Reactions: JOHN72

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I'd say it sounds like you don't need help finding a dive bar in that town. Just step out of the touristy parts.
You’re probably right - just want to make sure I don’t miss a good one :)

And I do want to find a decent pipeshop/tobacconist. I imagine it’s pretty easy to find a glass pipe head shop type place in Vegas but (obviously) that’s not what I’m after.

Reactions: anotherbob

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Used to be a good Cigar shop at the top of the Lexor.
The one on the Strip next to Smith and Wolinsky's sucks. Go offstrip for Pipes/cigars.
The Davidoff stores aren't bad at all in most of the Hotels.

There are plenty of dive bars and great food in Chinatown off strip.

Reactions: bayareabriar

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Used to be a good Cigar shop at the top of the Lexor.
The one on the Strip next to Smith and Wolinsky's sucks. Go offstrip for Pipes/cigars.
The Davidoff stores aren't bad at all in most of the Hotels.

There are plenty of dive bars and great food in Chinatown off strip.
Thanks
I figured I’d have to go off strip and I prefer to tbh
And thanks for the heads up about Wolinsky’s

Reactions: briarbuck

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hit up the Rum Runner or Noreens especially if you play pool.

Here’s a good rule of thumb. If the bar is within 3/4 mile of the strip it’s a dive bar; however, some of those dive bars are not fit for human habitation.

For pipe/tobacco shops…. You’re shit out of luck. If you like cigars you’ll trip over them in hotels and everywhere else.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Vegas has very little in the way of pipes and pipe tobacco. Cigars, yes. Pipe tobacco, not so much.

The Tobacco Leaf has a very limited selection and that's about all you're going to find except some OTC stuff.

However, if you want a cigar then there are many places with large/myriad cigar selections and some even have actual bars that serve alcohol.

Dive bars are kind of a different thing in Vegas. Sure, it has its share of local bars that mainly serve just a couple beers on tap and cheap mixed drinks plus standard bar food. (I've drank many a beer at The Four Kegs which is near my friends house.) Nothing fancy but good. Then there are all of the places that are chain or corporate, even if they look unique/dive-y, but really offer nothing special or are sometimes gimmicky. There are also a huge amount of high-end, craft type places that serve rather good drinks but you have to be in the mood to go to them. If you're looking for atmosphere good luck.

For the most part I just don't go to bars here anymore. I usually choose based on food served, go to restaurants, or otherwise I just drink at home.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Hit up the Rum Runner or Noreens especially if you play pool.

Here’s a good rule of thumb. If the bar is within 3/4 mile of the strip it’s a dive bar; however, some of those dive bars are not fit for human habitation.

For pipe/tobacco shops…. You’re shit out of luck. If you like cigars you’ll trip over them in hotels and everywhere else.
Thanks
I guess I’ll plan on smoking cigars while I’m there. - too bad

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Vegas has very little in the way of pipes and pipe tobacco. Cigars, yes. Pipe tobacco, not so much.

The Tobacco Leaf has a very limited selection and that's about all you're going to find except some OTC stuff.

However, if you want a cigar then there are many places with large/myriad cigar selections and some even have actual bars that serve alcohol.

Dive bars are kind of a different thing in Vegas. Sure, it has its share of local bars that mainly serve just a couple beers on tap and cheap mixed drinks plus standard bar food. (I've drank many a beer at The Four Kegs which is near my friends house.) Nothing fancy but good. Then there are all of the places that are chain or corporate, even if they look unique/dive-y, but really offer nothing special or are sometimes gimmicky. There are also a huge amount of high-end, craft type places that serve rather good drinks but you have to be in the mood to go to them. If you're looking for atmosphere good luck.

For the most part I just don't go to bars here anymore. I usually choose based on food served, go to restaurants, or otherwise I just drink at home.
Thanks for the reply
I don’t go to bars much here in KC anymore either and I certainly don’t enjoy the corporate franchise places. I’ll check out the Four Kegs.

Reactions: DangerStranger

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I’d say the old strip/Fremont as others said is the dive end of town. Treat yourself to a prostitute while you’re there. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Or just smoke a pipe. Lol.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’d say the old strip/Fremont as others said is the dive end of town. Treat yourself to a prostitute while you’re there. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Or just smoke a pipe. Lol.
Prostitution isn’t legal in Las Vegas (Clark County). It is legal in many other counties in Nevada though.

On a different note… Here’s a handy guide for Vegas I stole from the interwebs

025AD4A1-2399-4412-AA9F-581DA0146C14.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.