PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
When I started I was all about Canadians. I then moved onto Shape 55s in various sizes and preferably with army mounts. I also appreciate various one offs like a stack, a 10, a 33, hawkbill, poker etc. I stick mostly to Castellos.

Reactions: Briar’s Echo
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I acquired my first handful of pipes with little regard to shapes or dimensions, apart from a liking of the bulldog shape. But now I gravitate to princes — I’ve realized that I don’t like a really deep bowl or very much bend to the shank/stem.

Reactions: edger and SBC

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
For a while I made it a goal to collect and smoke as many different shaped pipes that I could find , well over 50 shapes and sizes . I definitely have discovered what I do and don’t like. until you’ve tried them, held them for hours you just don’t know . Try them all . I like modest sized squashed tomato and apple pipes with many subtle variations of that as my preference

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I own and enjoy many pipes of different shapes. But my favorites are the Oom Paul, Rhodesian, Dublin, Canadian, & Stack Billiard

Reactions: Piping Abe
Funny, I read this far along in a thread, and I get to here, and totally have forgotten what the OP was. Oh, pipe shapes... I really don't care much for bent droopy, flaccid pipes. I do have some, but I don't grab for them often, maybe a blue moon. a quarter bent is ok, but straight and randy is the image I want to project, not all tired and not up to the task.
Most of my pipes have been dublins and bulldogs, with the occasional topper in the bunch. But, I've recently started collecting billiards. I wasn't impressed with them much in the beginning. Too square, Father Knows Best for me, but recently I've come to appreciate a 1950's dad pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Funny, I read this far along in a thread, and I get to here, and totally have forgotten what the OP was. Oh, pipe shapes... I really don't care much for bent droopy, flaccid pipes. I do have some, but I don't grab for them often, maybe a blue moon. a quarter bent is ok, but straight and randy is the image I want to project, not all tired and not up to the task.
Most of my pipes have been dublins and bulldogs, with the occasional topper in the bunch. But, I've recently started collecting billiards. I wasn't impressed with them much in the beginning. Too square, Father Knows Best for me, but recently I've come to appreciate a 1950's dad pipe.
Cos, only the classiest of us consider the Billiard the finest shape.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I like traditional shapes, straight billiards for example. I used to prefer taped stems because the look of someone smoking a straight billiard with a saddle stem looked so oddly fragile to me. Having tried a few though, I find I like them quite a bit.
I think my favorite pipes have an 1/8th (?) bend to them. I love the look and feel of a pipe just bent enough for the rim to be level with the bit. The Savinelli 315 Prince shape comes to mind, as well as their 320 Author. But I like a bit more bend as well like the 673 Rhodesian or Peterson 999 Rhodesian.