PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
What I'd really love would be some information on the origins and history of the shapes. Some we know, like Cuttys, for example, or Princes. But we seem to have no such information on most of the other shapes. I'd give an eye tooth to find out where and when the Bulldog first appeared...

rickcrum

Lurker
May 6, 2014
I saw JoffretheGiant on Youtube do a video where he was smoking a foursquare (like a billiard with 4 panels and a square stem). I can not seem to find one in the 100 dollar range and i am very new at pipe smoking, with only 7 pipes, and just now taking an interest into billiards and straight stems.... anyone know where i can find one? Thanks

tanzebjorn

Lurker
May 11, 2014
Is anybody familiar with the shape called "Dancer". I belive it is a unsymetrical cherrywood shape or something...

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
In Canada certain shapes have different names. For example what some call a "bulldog" we call a "sleddog", a "dublin" is called a "mukluk", and a "lumberman" here is just called "Bob".

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
In Canada certain shapes have different names. For example what some call a "bulldog" we call a "sleddog", a "dublin" is called a "mukluk", and a "lumberman" here is just called "Bob".
:rofl:
And we just find the "Eskimo" shape name offensive.
-- Pat

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I've become attracted to the Lovat. Don't have one, though. I'd like to know when and where each of these shapes arose.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@ maxx

It is quite difficult to answer exactly when and where, which can trace back to when the popular cutty clay pipe shape faded and the billiard took over. A bit of search gave me the information:

"... The Lovat is named after the various lords and barons Lovat (Lordship of Lovat), such as Brigadier-General Simon Joseph Fraser..."

http://thepipeguys.com/smoking-pipe-shapes-guide/#5473-smoking-pipe-shapes-guide/1/11711-lovat

Basically it belongs to the Canadian pipe family (long shank Billiard shape family: Canadian, Lumberman, Liverpool, Lovat).

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I have an older Savanelli that I just love to smoke. I am trying to decipher the shape of the pipe. I've checked out the sites and find things that are similar, but it does not seem to meet the criteria. Its an Oscar Dry 305 with a slightly curved, wide stem that is triangle (not diamond) and has a somewhat squat round bowl. Not a bulldog, not a tomato, etc etc. Anybody help with classifying this?
IMG_3187_zpsjflfhwk1.jpg

IMG_3188%201_zps9axzwjdp.jpg

It may be simple, but it is eluding me....hopefully the pics come through.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Savinelli's 305 is described as a bent pot.
http://m.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=170088

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
This page is constantly been updated. I remember the first time I've ever went on it, there were very fewer shapes, even the Zulu shape wasn't listed on it. The last time I visited it, there were no Bullcap and Bullmoose.

white

Lurker
Apr 13, 2017
hello,i am white. i am new. i want to collect a lot of estate pipes. if you have please sent me the email

my email address : piane521@hotmail.com

thank you

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
At least they mention "Hungarian" next to "Oom Paul". As this shape is really from Hungary (Debrecen), it is a shame that we don't use this name mainly. The shape itself is very old, from the meerschaum-clay times, so much older than Uncle Paul. And it is part of cultural heritage of a country.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
At least they mention "Hungarian" next to "Oom Paul". As this shape is really from Hungary (Debrecen), it is a shame that we don't use this name mainly. The shape itself is very old, from the meerschaum-clay times, so much older than Uncle Paul. And it is part of cultural heritage of a country.
It's a triple travesty; Paul Kruger was a real shit of a person. No one has revealed a photo of him smoking a Hungarian shaped pipe, either. But "Oom Paul" sounds so cozy, so familial. That's the only reason I can see as to why that misnomer has become popular.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I prefer the Hungarian nomenclature, but it is less recognized, and some will think you are talking about a Cavalier or something else, whereas Oom-Paul only has one association. Yes, Kruger was not a sympathetic figure, putting it mildly.