PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

turtlehead

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2022
Citrus Heights, CA
timhalberg.com
Aside from what I find aesthetically pleasing to myself, are there certain pipe shapes that one should maybe try for a different smoking experience?

I'm not drawn to Church Warden's visually, but curious about the concept that others have mentioned they smoke cooler - but I've also had some say that it changes the flavor in a way they might not like.

Reactions: mav and FLDRD

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'll put it this way there won't be any revelations outside of maybe trying some system or gimmick pipe. I find for instance that Falcons smoke noticeably different then other pipes. Otherwise none of those other things are likely to be game changers. As a fan of Churchwardens I can tell a difference but it makes no serious difference. Best part of them is I find something oddly more contemplative about the smoking posture with one. The thing that makes a bigger difference in how they smoke is that you pretty much have to handle it the whole time, which can help one be more contentious to their pacing and they're great for pointing at things.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Aside from what I find aesthetically pleasing to myself, are there certain pipe shapes that one should maybe try for a different smoking experience?

I'm not drawn to Church Warden's visually, but curious about the concept that others have mentioned they smoke cooler - but I've also had some say that it changes the flavor in a way they might not like.
Being a curious fellow, I have many shapes and find that each pipe will handle a blend differently than another. Which I think is more a function of chamber shape & size. But I feel the many different ones I've tried have contributed positively to my learning.

Then of course there's the difference among the material of the pipe.

Beyond that, I have personally found that a dry system made a nice impression on me. I've much yet to experience in that area though, as I've only tried 2 brands & 2 shapes.

Churchwardens provide a nice change for me, primarily because of the additional relaxation I can have in my posture, and the laziness it facilitates.

And overall, for me, some of my pipes perform better when I'm active, or in the breeze outdoors, while others only cooperate their best when I'm docile and/or in a windless environment.

These reasons justify my different pipe shapes for me. At least for the time. I will eliminate the "extras" in the future.

As others have stated, in the end, the greatest influence on the pipe is YOU.

Cheers

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Over more than 50 years, I have acquired most every shape and material that you could name. I enjoy them all and eventually they all make appearances in my rotation.
My overall preferences lean toward cherrywoods and pokers when I have the time for a 2-3 hour contemplative smoke, but all have strong points and weak points.
I will echo the "buy what appeals to you" sentiment.

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
I'm going to go against the prevailing sentiments a little here and suggest not two shapes but two dimensions of common shapes that everyone should try: wide and narrow bowls.
A wide bowl can be very rewarding when it comes to English mixtures or blends with many different types of leaf. The wide bowl size allows for a greater melding of the components in each puff.
On the other side of the spectrum, a tall, narrow bowl can be excellent for flakes. I don't know why - perhaps someone else can enlighten us here - but tall, narrower bowls work great with flakes of all varieties.
This is also why Tsuge has a line of pipes called 'The Tasting,' each of which is constructed specifically for a type of blend or cut.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my view every pipe smoker should own a Billiard, Dublin, Apple, Rhodesian, Bulldog and a Lovat almost forgot the Brandy. You may be asking why those particular shapes? Simple, they are my favorites and when a real artisan makes one, you know it. There is just something about the basics that makes me want them. I have no logical reason, just my particular tastes.

I don't do fish or whales or a plethora of other shapes. I like my pipes to look like a pipe and not some weird shape from a sci fi movie.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I'm going to go against the prevailing sentiments a little here and suggest not two shapes but two dimensions of common shapes that everyone should try: wide and narrow bowls.
A wide bowl can be very rewarding when it comes to English mixtures or blends with many different types of leaf. The wide bowl size allows for a greater melding of the components in each puff.
On the other side of the spectrum, a tall, narrow bowl can be excellent for flakes. I don't know why - perhaps someone else can enlighten us here - but tall, narrower bowls work great with flakes of all varieties.
This is also why Tsuge has a line of pipes called 'The Tasting,' each of which is constructed specifically for a type of blend or cut.
Though the question was about pipe shapes and a shape doesn't exclude any bowl dimensions (while for proportions it might seem interesting, a tall and narrow Prince shape is to be invented, but you catch my drift) I do also agree with this statement. I like ribbon cuts with 3 to 4 tobaccos in a deep and wide bowl, while I don't need a that large bowl when smoking a straight or 2 tobacco blend.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Very informative to me, thank you. I find I do not like bowls wider than 20mm as the draw is to much for me. But then I have yet to try different types of tobacco. Thanks, ?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A pipe attractive to the eye and a good fit in the fist is likely to be comfortable and perceived to be a better smoker than one that is "jarring" to the eye and uncomfortable to the fist. Go with what pleases your eye would be my advise. As the advice is free it's is worth what?