PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I like to smoke my Virginia Flakes and Vapers flakes out of apples, tomatoes,billiards,dublins pretty much group 5-6 with thicker walls. When I smoke aromatics I generally use a larger bowl and don't care much about the shape. When I used to smoke English blends, I didn't care about shapes because they were pretty much shag cuts and crumble cake. They tend to burn cooler so wall thickness is not as big an issue.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I like tall, narrow bowls for flake tobaccos, otherwise it doesn't really matter much to me. Every now and then though, I hit a pipe and tobacco combination that just works. For instance, Shortcut to Mushrooms is absolutely grand in my Peterson Emerald Canadian.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I will add though... :wink: I do have a favorite pipe that I just like the feel of and the draw of it, and I do dedicate it to my favorite blend Penzance :worship:
So narrow it down that way, maybe find your favorite blend first, then try lots of pipes with that specific baccy in them.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I have a pipe that has a wide chamber ... my LJ Peretti, here it is with new stem:
3aA8Y.jpg

I got it off ebay from modernchicago and he described it as "have a bowl the sized of a golf ball"
That being said, I don't smoke it much anymore, because all a wide chamber does is make for potent puffs, it doesn't really make for a lengthier smoking time.
A good long smoke, is about having a tall chamber.
Now as far as your specific question, I haven't noticed a blend being any different in one pipe from another ... except for whether that pipe hasn't been cleaned in a while or not. Dirty pipe or pipe with a lot of cake build up, means you're going to be tasting some of the past smokes.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
I smoke a lot of turkish izmir and find it always smokes better in a small bowl, do not know why. So I have quite a few smaller pipes for this tobacco. With the small bowl, I do prefere a longer stem (6 inches). :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.