PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

smokey789

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Western Pennsylvania
I just finished an article that said some pipe shapes are less prone to moisture and gurgle than others. I looked to see some explanation and didn't see a link or anything.

Does the shape make any difference? Is it noticeable? Which shape(s) smoke better than others?

And, maybe it has something to do with the angle of the drilled holes? Maybe one manufacturer gets it right more often? Is there some sort of sweet spot for the angle?

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I think the general consensus is that bent pipes have a propensity to collect moisture and gurgle more than straight pipes. Clenching exacerbates this to some degree.

I smoke only straight pipes with only a couple bents in my collection.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I feel like gurgling has more to do with the drilling and the stem than the shape of the stummel. In my experience, if there’s significant variation in the width of the parts of the pipe the smoke passes through, this results in more gurgle.

Reactions: smokey789

smokey789

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Western Pennsylvania
I'll try to change my methods a bit. Sometimes, I don't get the packing right. I make it too tight. Sometimes, I don't switch and I think that doesn't let the pipe dry out well enough. I rarely have that happen with a well hydrated blend. I think I need to watch my packing the most.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

smokey789

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Western Pennsylvania
I'll have to get a nice straight pipe one of these days. I should have one in my collection. I have a Peterson tankard, but it's a small pipe. I'd like to have one that's standard size.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I do notice more moisture on colder or windy day. I only smoke outside and when it's colder or windy, I do notice moisture collecting. Breath smoking definitely help with gurgling, but water being condensed has to go somewhere. On bent pipes, they usually end up in water trap or at the heel of the chamber.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Aside from the comments of it being a "user" problem. Which I totally agree with, I'd like to add a few things..

I have found that pipes with a conical bowl, where the heel is quite small, seem to be more moisture prone. Not because more mositure is being created, but for the fact that the moisture gathers at the bottom in a smaller space, vs a wide bowl where there is more tobacco to soak up that moisture.

It's also been my experience that a more open draw leads to less buildup of moisture in the pipe. Not to say a pipe with a stricter draw can't be designed to have minimal moisture buildup, but the open draw leaves less room(from having more room) for error. Haha

Dandy Pipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
For me it is more the briar than the construction or the shape. This is why it happens both with high-end pipes and with cheap ones.
Sometimes instead it happens that you are not the right smoker for that pipe. Someone else may not have the same problem.
Could be the briar or the smoker.