PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hwmcadoo

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
I apologize four giving the URL to my album instead of a picture but, so far, my Mac and I have been unable.
Pipe retorts are the absolute best way to sterilize and do final cleaning of a pipe. The salt method is messy, takes a long time and can damage the finish. The retorts are hard to find and while old hands can make their own beginners may not know. As far as I know they are not available for sale (see warnings) They used to be on Ebay at about $20. I think potential liability got them removed. If you do this be careful and you are on your own.
Check this picture http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/10847/p1000119-150x112.jpg in my album. You will need the following parts all from Amazon unless indicated.:
Latex rubber bulbs $8.75 for 12 you need one for each retort ($.72 each)
Alcohol burner $8.85 or stern can.
91% isopropyl alcohol from drug or grocery store. this will be used for the burner and to clean (Isoproply at 91% lis OK as it all evaporates if you allow drying time. If worried use PGHA (Everclear) or i51 Rum)). These are much more expensive. If you don't believe me try the isopropyl out on a cheap pipe. It works.
Homewerks worldwide llc cu04010 1/4" O.D. x 10', Utility Grade, Copper Tube $10.47 Each retort will only use less than 6 inches ( about $.50)
SEOH Boiling Flask Long Neck Round Bottom 50ml $3.95 An alternative is a test tube with a i6mm opening.
American Educational 7-G12 Stoddard Type Test Tube Clamp, 5" Length, Nickel-Plated Steel $2.39 (or just use a rag to hold the tube.
The following is available on the net but not from Amazon:
A stopper to fit the tube or boiling flask drilled for .25 inch. You nay have to drill yourself, easy.( about $.75)
Many of the items come with enough for multiple retorts and why not make a bunch for friends. Total cost per unit is about $8.45 if you make several. I have not included the alcohol or the burner.
Drill the cork .s5" (if undrilled). Cut about 6" of tubing and smooth the ends. Put one end in the cork and put the latex bulb on the other. Slit the end of the build to allow slipping over the pipe stem. Place the cork into the boiling flask or the test tube.
[WARNINGS !!!! Do this at your own risk. Glasses and gloves and a fire extinguisher nearby. Keep the alcohol bottle capped and well away from the flame.
Put about half a tube or 20cc of alcohol in the retort, holding it with the clamp. Put a cotton ball into the top of the pipe to stop leakage. Attach the pipe and hold the bowl level or slightly down. Heat the alcohol until boiling and it will go into the pipe. Take it from the flame and tilt to allow to drain back. Redo until you need fresh alcohol or you are finished. Let the pipe dry.
Remember!!!! alcohol flame is invisible and you may not recognize a burning spill until you are burned. Be careful. I have been doing this for a long time (carefully) and never had a single problem.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I am a firm believer in the retort since trying it on some estates that I've cleaned up. It's amazing how much gunk comes out a pipe that looks pretty well clean. As far as I'm concerned, if you are cleaning up and smoking estates, this is a must have tool.
Pylorns found this kit on ebay and we've used it on quite a few pipes with great success. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIPE-RETORT-for-cleaning-estate-pipes-PYREX-FREE-SHIPPING-/130766841769?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e724fa7a9

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Hey guys im new to all this and have never heard of this method.Hwmcadoo thanks for posting this topic.Got a couple questions.First at what point is this needed to be done.Also do you think i should perform this having never done it before.Also is there other safer methods to do this and achieve the same results.Thanks fellow pipers.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I purchased a retort set for 8 bucks off of Yahoo Auctions Japan. Don't want to do it for the first time inside my apartment so waiting for an off day when it's not windy. I will try and post my results.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Kanaka - There are a bunch of videos, threads and how-tos using this method. Just like anything it has it's pros and cons, but it also depends on the user. If you do decide to try this take your time. Just do a search on it and you'll get a bunch of info. Hwmcadoo's write up is a nice starting point. If it's hard for you to find the stuff you need to make the retort just follow msandovals link to purchase one. This seller has a good kit and sells a bunch. Follow Hwmcadoo's instructions and you'll be good. Just don't keep it on the flame too long.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
So, I just got a pipe retort kit from the EBay seller discussed above (nice kit, and it comes with good instructions). My question: if you use a retort, do you no longer need to to the alcohol/salt soak to get rid of ghosting? I have a few inexpensive estates to practice on, and I'm waiting until I get some more safety gear to use it, but this has been a lingering question of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.