Pipe Restoration Series #1: My First Restoration! Rusticated Author (Bulldog?) with Metal Condenser. P1

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Hello all! I've taken up the hobby of pipe restoration and I picked out my first victim!

This is part one of the photo album, before any work is done. I'll take any and all suggestions into consideration as this is my first project so feel free to lend me some tips!
Full Gallery with Descriptions
nF6YYJH.jpg

ZPXoQ0p.jpg

I'm aiming to get a similar look to this style of staining when it's finished, black in the deep ridges and mahogany for the raised parts.
pcrork6-pf-1002.png

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It will likely smoke wet with that stinger in place. Looks good so far but I would ditch the stinger.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The stinger is friction fit - soak the tenon in a depth of alcohol, and gently work it out. Getting those groves stained darker is going to be tricky. Pick up some hobby paint sticks and work slowly. (use black or dark brown)

Reactions: JPremo

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
For the grooves, how about these guys:
6D0B7C94-034B-44B2-96C0-5C20187133E3.jpeg
the tube is 18ga. Some of the fine pottery houses use them to apply glaze into tiny grooves. The raised edge of the groove keeps it from running where you don’t want it. Black or brown leather die should work well in them. Then the mahogany stain over everything since it won’t affect the black or brown.

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
You've already cleaned up the stem? Lets see some pictures then!

How do you plan on removing the existing colour from the bowl?
I’m curious myself as I have a similar one in my future. Do you think a stiff sanding sponge (flexible enough to curve, but not get into the grooves) would skim the top surface well enough? If he goes black or brown in the grooves, removing whatever is left there shouldn’t matter as much. Provided there isn’t any varnish, shellac etc. to block absorption.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
No, the stain is incredibly viscous, it will run everywhere, unless you have hands of stone and incredible patience. The look like fine point q-tips, Hobby-Lobby sells them.

Something like this:
1596981733988.png1596981733988.png

Reactions: JPremo

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
No, the stain is incredibly viscous, it will run everywhere
Yeah I had a few accidents last night, I will be removing the staining liquid from the bottles by dropper from now on! Luckily everything it got on was easily cleaned up with an alcohol rag, except my hands :(

I might have to take a look at those because using a folded pipe cleaner wasn't the easiest for working in the tight spots, thanks for all the advice in here too guys.

@mikethompson
I used 220 grit paper and a steel brush for the initial sanding after I cleaned it. Now that I think about it I wonder if I should've skipped the scrubbing and gone straight for sanding? Ah well, learning as I go.

Here's the P2 for everyone!

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Alright guys I think she's ready for show and tell, it's not exactly what I wanted but for my first attempt I'm happy with it for now.
mXykQGg.jpg

Album

I have to work on my buffing/waxing because my first attempt at a finishing wax resulted in my buffing wheel tearing off tiny bits of fuzzy material into the cracks of the pipe, kinda a pain in the ass to clean it again after I waxed but live and learn I suppose
?‍♂️

Reactions: Parsimonious Piper
Status
Not open for further replies.