Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Kevin said
Check out Bob's pipe packing videos

Yes! I've seen them; great piece of work and informative too. For some reason I've got this mental block when it comes to cubed Burley. I dunno. It seems like I have to suck my brains out to get any volume, and by the end of the bowl my cheek muscles are so sore I can't smoke for the rest of the day. :) I gotten to the point that I'd just as soon do without, and smoke something I have consistent success with.
I'll re-visit Bob's videos though. Maybe I'm missing a point or two.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Have you tried drying it out a bit before packing, Cortez? I got some SPC Plum Pudding for Christmas and I had a heck of a time lighting, and keeping it lit. So, I started crumbling it on a plate an hour before smoking. Now, it smokes great. Bow Legged Bear looked the same, but it crumbled better, and I did not have to dry it before smoking. I hope that helps.
Mick

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Here is the C&D Repose:

Repose.jpg

Repose01.jpg

I tried to get a good photo of the bulging tin, but the bulg really wouldn't show up in a photo. This is the best one I could get. Notice how the tab is sticking up due to the bulging tin:

Repose02.jpg

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I just wanted to let everyone know that; Luciano is a relatively new line of pipes that just became available in the US this year (2009).
They are really nice looking pipes and they have a great price point. They are made in Italy exclusively for Neat Pipes which is owned by Luca di Piazza.

You can look at and get them from NeatPipes.com.

Check these pipes out!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Absolutely one heck-of-a find Bob. I'm a sucker for that shape. And from what I saw of it online at NeatPipes, the sweep of the stem-lines from where they emerge from the bowl, back to the button, is perfection. And oh, that birdseye on the bottom!

As for that bulging tin of 6 yr. old hootch, don't forget to put on your safety goggles before pulling the tab! (LOL)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mick, re problems with cubed Burley,

I'll try drying it out a bit. Right now the only cubed Burley I have is C&D's Crooner, and that appears as hard little nuggets. I'll get some Bow Legged Bear with my next order and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion. BTW, how do you pack it, firm, gravity + firm, other?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
WIth cube cut, I just use gravity with no pressure at all. It sometimes is a little hard to get it started burning, but once it starts to, it burns pretty well.

The main cube cut that I have smoked is GL Pease Barbary Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.