Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I thought I would start a thread to show our pipe related Christmas gifts.
I got 3 Chartan pipes for myself. They are home, so I will post them later.
We are away in Jacksonville doing the Puerto Rican version of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. We were supposed to stay at the relative's house, but we went to a hotel instead, which made me very happy.
Here I am waking up in the hotel with my gifts of Peterson Christmas 2009 Blend and a cool ceramic tobacco holder with 4 chambers that each hold 50 grams of tobacco. There is an internal lid to keep it sealed and fresh.
peterson-christmas-blend.jpg

tobacco-storage.jpg

You can see my Christmas haircut and that I am also still half asleep.

falconeer

Lurker
Dec 17, 2009
Nice one! I got my two new meerschaums - one plain bent apple which I've started working on and one precoloured straight billiard which'll be next, but even better I've got the Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson carved pair of meers to come before the new year - can't be bad.
You got your Christmas Haircut, I'm sitting here with my Christmas shave - no beard and only moustache left! When I work out how to post pix on this site I'll send one on,
Best to all
Gerry

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Nice tobacco jar Kevin!
Congrats on the new pipes Falconeer!
I am still waiting on my Luciano pipe. But I did get two books yesterday. One is The Tobacconist Handbook written by Jorge Armenteros and the other is Velvet Glove, Iron Fist written by Christopher Snowden.
Sadly, I did not get to smoke any pipes yesterday because I was sick as hell. I am still feeling pretty sick today too. I hate being sick.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hmmmmm.... maybe a book review in the works? (I hope!)
Santa left a Rattray's and a Ben Wade Ovation. Both are ¼-bent bulldogs.

I'll get some pix up ASAP.
Kevin got
a cool ceramic tobacco holder with 4 chambers

Very nice. I notice there's a spot for labels too; just don't let the Grinch switch lid positions on you! Oh brother, would that be a mean trick!

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Ha ha ha cortezattic! I have been sick the last three days too. I tried smoking anyway and couldn't taste anything. I gave up twice with half a bowl left.
Back in St. Petersburg now with a head cold. Have gone through three boxes of tissues already and now I am depleting the toilet paper inventory (blowing my nose that is).

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
My wife surprised me with a new pipe stand. Sweet mama!! I've got to get one of my boys to show me how to upload pics. I'm so 20th century.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here are some more of my pipe related Christmas Gifts.
To myself, I gave three Charatan Pipes.
charatan-trio-01.jpg

All Made in France ...
Charatan Knightsbridge Billiard #2042
Charatan Knightsbridge Pot #2502
Charatan Knightsbridge Bulldog #38
The stems on the pot and billiard have some oxidation.
charatan-trio-02.jpg

Also, you can't see it here,but I don't know why they put a glued on price sticker on the stems.
charatan-trio-03.jpg

Here's three more shots of the Bulldog.
charatan-knightsbridge-bulldog-38-01.jpg

You can see the patent #203573 here.
charatan-knightsbridge-bulldog-38-02.jpg

It says Charatan of London, but these pipes are made in France.
charatan-knightsbridge-bulldog-38-03.jpg

charatan-knightsbridge-bulldog-38-02.jpg

Charatan Knightsbridge Billiard #2042 Made in France
charatan-knightsbridge-billiard-2042.jpg

Charatan Knightsbridge Pot #2502 Made in France
charatan-knightsbridge-pot-2502.jpg

I also received a very cool business card holder from my pseudo mother-in-law.
With the top closed ...
card-holder-01.jpg

Opened, you can see the pipe, extra stem, tobacco pouch, matches and pipe tool ...
card-holder-02.jpg

And here is the business card ...
card-holder-03.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
dunendain,
I just spent the last hour or so puffin' on some Va flake, considering the possibility of making a custom taylored pipe rack. I'm leaning toward something like a carousel with multiple tiers. I think I'll build a few cardboard models to see what works best.
If you go to Photo Bucket and click on "Get Started" you can open a free account that will enable you to upload images for storage. They even have photo editing software. All of your photos will have image file links (URL's) like:

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad160/cortezattic/Rattrays/DSCN0435.jpg

that you just copy and paste into this forum's reply boxes using the IMG button.
A written description makes the process seem complicated, but in practice it's easier to do than to talk about.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Kevin,

Gorgeous Charatans! Let's see, I think that's three down and two to go, right?

All very classy-looking.

Is the business card holder an antique, or a rusticated comtemporary item?

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Kevin,

Gorgeous Charatans! Let's see, I think that's three down and two to go, right?

All very classy-looking.

Is the business card holder an antique, or a rusticated comtemporary item?
Thanks cortezattic. Yes, I have to get 2 more to join the club, and I am on the verge of doing so soon.
The business card holder looks like it could be an antique, but I think t is a replica because it has a "Made in China" sticker on the bottom.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Thanks Cortez. I put the pipe stand in my album, for now. Kevin that is a very cool Peterson tin.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
dunendain - once you have the photo in your album here, you can post it in the forums.
Get the url location for it. In your case the url to the photo is:
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/269/1228091225-600x450.jpg
Go here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/dunendain/album/picture/117
Then right-click on the photo.
(In IE browser, click Properties, then copy the address, [ highlight it and Ctrl-C])

(In Firefox browser, click Copy Image Location)
Click the 7th button from the left "IMG", and paste the url into it and press ok.
1228091225-600x450.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Very nice pipe rack. Good spacing on the bottom so the bowls have enough room. The racks that I have are crowded because I smoke mostly wide bulldogs. I also appreciate the open style stem slots; no angling to get the pipe in and out -- just a twist. Very thoughtfully designed, obviously by someone who smokes a pipe :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here's the other pipe I got for Christmas. The advertising hype reads:
Ben Wade pipes have been in existence since the 1860's, and the brand has had its share of "ups and downs" in quality through the years. We are pleased to report that the brand is presently on the upside in quality and the Ovation series offered here reflects it. Resurrected in 1998 by Duncan Briars (another great British pipe family), the drilling and finishing standards of Ben Wade handmade pipes are at the level of more expensive pipes; the bowls are carved at the same pipe factory in London, England, where Dunhills are made.
The Ben Wade Ovation pipe has consistently good grain and blast, which is complemented by a rich, dark caramel stain. Each pipe is fitted with a high quality German vulcanite mouthpiece and stamped "Ben Wade Ovation, London, England."
These "Ovations" come in a variety of shapes, but they all seem to share the same characteristic: a blasted lower half and a clear upper half. This one is quite comfortable in hand and mouth, and is deceptively huge. A really wide bowl -- approaching ~ 2" overall. A lot of wood.
DSCN0439.jpg

DSCN0440.jpg

DSCN0441.jpg

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Great presents everyone!
I am still waiting on my pipe, so pics will have to wait.
I was out at a Davidus B&M yesterday and did pick up a late Christmas gift for myself. I was looking around and saw a tin of C&D Serenity Series Repose and snatched it up. It is from 2003 and the tin is so swelled up, it's busting at the seams!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Bob,

I read where Repose is topped with rum, so don't smoke and drive :)

I wish I knew how to smoke cubed Burley, it sounds good. Let us folks know.

Status
Not open for further replies.