PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
I am refinishing a pipe and have found a lot of different (and sometimes conflicting) information online. I have wiped down the bowl thoroughly with acetone to get the old finish off.
I plan to use some Fiebings cordovan leather dye and then carnuba wax.
My first question is this---the acetone has taken off the old wax and some of the old stain, but not all of it. I am supposed to SOAK the bowl in acetone / whiskey? Or just wipe it?
Or should I sand down the bowl a bit? I think the highest grit sandpaper I have is 600 or 800. I don't want to sand with too rough a grit. I also have 0000 steel wool.
Any other steps I should take?
I am not looking for a museum quality finish. I just want to darken up the color on my Peterson Standard System 301. I will be happy with a more Spartan finish...just a bit darker. the current finish on it is very light and unlike my other Petersons (which have a darker / redder color)
thanks for your help
Matt

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I soak bowls that are to be retained, that gets all of the stain off (or most). 800 should do the trick, I usually go higher with automotive body work paper (1500 & 2000)
You can read about many pipe restoration projects here, I contribute as well (under "upshallfan").
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
As samcoffeeman above. You can sand off all the stain with a coarser grit than you mentioned, anywhere between 200-400. Just go lightly around the nomenclature. Then smooth sand with 600 wet and dry before staining. I prefer to use the stain well diluted about 1 part stain to 3 parts alcohol and give the bowl 2-3 thin coats of stain. Then buff with tripoli and white diamond before waxing. Just be aware that the Cordovan is dark, so I would probably go 2 thin coats then a light buff to check first. If necessary to your taste, you can add more coats of stain.

Status
Not open for further replies.