PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
At first I ment this to be taken as tongue in cheek but may have some value. Many have used terms like Dumping the duds, passing along the losers. Some of us use EBay. Can we come with a code to protect fellow members ? We can prevent guilt by saying one man’s junk is another man’s treasure? A few just toss in the trash but land fills are now overloaded . Any suggestions ?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
At first I ment this to be taken as tongue in cheek but may have some value. Many have used terms like Dumping the duds, passing along the losers. Some of us use EBay. Can we come with a code to protect fellow members ? We can prevent guilt by saying one man’s junk is another man’s treasure? A few just toss in the trash but land fills are now overloaded . Any suggestions ?
I don‘t really understand what you’re asking about. “Protect fellow members” from what? “Prevent guilt“ about what? About getting rid of pipes we no longer want? Do people feel guilty about that?

Reactions: olkofri and Kobold

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never trashed a pipe. Some I've contributed to active duty military people through a chaplain who posted here. Four or five I gave to a friend, a former Lucky Strike smoker, who wanted them as decor. A number I have traded in for store credit with SP and received a useful discount on a pipe I preferred. Pipes involve so little material one-by-one, they don't represent much of a mass to be recycled. I like the idea of them carrying their mystery and story along into the world ... sentimental foolishness that makes a sort of sense to me. Foolishness and wrong being two separate concepts. Some day I may get exasperated with a pipe that is useless to me and enjoy hurling it into the trash; I'm saving that for the future.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I have a few pipes I plan to sell. I was considering including my own grade for how well each smoked for me. Still not sure if I will or not. If I call a pipe 7/10 of a smoker, will that make any sense, or and difference, to anyone? Really, why should it? A lot of new smokers prefer, by my standards, huge airways, while I cannot stand them. My point is: where do you draw the line that doesn't fully inhabit preferences and arbitrary judgement? Is that helping a buyer? Hurting a seller? Wasting everyone's time?

I will say, though, that I do wish I knew if a pipe has been modified since leaving the maker's bench or the factory floor. To me, that is crucial information. Has some new smoker decided to open the airway like a McDonald's straw? Have they filed the inside of the stem? I recently...maybe a handful of months ago...purchased a pipe that has me convinced someone filed the inside of the stem and really screwed it up. I'm very familiar with this maker, and I have never owned any stem that is shaped like this in the airway. "I screwed with this pipe and am now selling it." I'd like that to be a common thing to know, right along with measurements and weight.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I wouldn’t put a pipe up for sale or give away that wasn’t in excellent condition. If it’s defective or maybe an estate I took a flier on that isn’t great once cleaned up, I toss it.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Y’all don’t live in Vegas. Every part of your life is a gamble.

Here’s the problem with all of this.

I’ve had pipes I’ve thought were duds. Someone else thinks is a world champion one match pipe.

It’s a all subjective so relax and don’t worry about this stuff.

Holy crap.