PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
Fellow Pipers,

Hello! Respectfully requesting your recommendations for a pipe in the $500-$700 range to commemorate a very special occasion.

The pipe can be any artist/manufacturer, any style…just a great smoker and something beautiful (I know, eye of the beholder, but don’t be shy) that’ll be a tried and true pipe for a lifetime.

I look forward to your feedback, I think this is going to be really fun. If you recommend a pipe and you just happen to know where it’s available for sale, please throw that in too!

Thank you, my friends. Happy Piping!

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
The sky's the limit at that price range.

Any particular look/style you're fond of?
Looking at a Tom Eltang black poker with bamboo, but also love some of the freehand styles (I think lends to the specialness of the occasion) that are out there.

Can you recommend some artists with some great free hands that are available? Thank you!

Reactions: Woo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is this for yourself or someone else? To me, this is well up-market, not moderately priced, but that is also in the eye of the beholder. If this is for another person, and they aren't especially pipe savvy, perhaps a White Spot would be appropriate, since it is a name and traditional look everyone would recognize. If it is for yourself or an experienced pipe smoker, I think you have to spend time figuring out what your, or their, special inclinations might be. You could easily find an artisan pipe by a well-known carver, and maybe get it done on commission to order, to suit yourself (or the recipient). Take your time deciding on this, or discussing it with the recipient to get it right. For that money, I wouldn't try to surprise another person. One person's treasure is another's clutter.

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
Give us a hint, what do you consider makes a great smoker. Even more importantly, your definition of a beautiful pipe?

A moderately priced pipe, such as you suggest, should provide you thousands of choices. I'll suggest you do your exploring.
Great smoker-a pipe that smokes cool, and does it reliably, time and time again. I’ve heard podcasts here on PM that share stories of renowned pipes to which some owners say don’t smoke worth a damn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I’m looking for your recommendations on what gets you going in the looks department. ?

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
Is this for yourself or someone else? To me, this is well up-market, not moderately priced, but that is also in the eye of the beholder. If this is for another person, and they aren't especially pipe savvy, perhaps a White Spot would be appropriate, since it is a name and traditional look everyone would recognize. If it is for yourself or an experienced pipe smoker, I think you have to spend time figuring out what your, or their, special inclinations might be. You could easily find an artisan pipe by a well-known carver, and maybe get it done on commission to order, to suit yourself (or the recipient). Take your time deciding on this, or discussing it with the recipient to get it right. For that money, I wouldn't try to surprise another person. One person's treasure is another's clutter.
Pipe is for a lifelong friend, who’s been smoking pipes for a few years now. I think something in the freehand department is where’d I’d be leaning, but I wouldn’t turn down opinions on interesting takes of the classics. ?

Reactions: mso489

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
If you could surreptitiously get a couple of photos of your friend a favored pipe or two you could give the carver of choice an idea of shapes he prefers. This might be helpful in coming close to a pipe your friend might enjoy smoking.
Thank you, Warren!

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
Yes, absolutely! I love the funk level presented in this piece…it’s beautiful. Great rec, Shanez! Thank you, my friend.

Reactions: JOHN72

xmacro

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
Can get a beautiful meerschaum for around $300-$400, depending on the carver and intricacy.
I like browsing Meerschaum Market sometimes, lotta nice stuff on there.
Fikri Baki is on AliExpress, search for "TuWun Meerschaum Pipe Store", they're the exclusive dealer for Fikri

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
Can get a beautiful meerschaum for around $300-$400, depending on the carver and intricacy.
I like browsing Meerschaum Market sometimes, lotta nice stuff on there.
Fikri Baki is on AliExpress, search for "TuWun Meerschaum Pipe Store", they're the exclusive dealer for Fikri
xmarco, I didn’t think to look meerschaum, but I’m going to now. I’m leaning briar, but I’m not going to rule it out. Thank you, my friend.