PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I've used an old Kleen-'n-Ream for decades. Used carefully, it will keep everything in the round, and the drill-like thing in the handle is quite useful for reaming the draft hole. Glad I have one. There's no way I would trust myself with a knife on a good pipe. The only negative is that the ends of the blades are not bent right to follow the contours of the bowl at the bottom, should you have managed to build cake that far down, a rarity in my case. And I think a 7/8" bowl is about its limit in opening up. But I've also read good things about Buttners and that Savinelli thing.

Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can skip the reamer if you want. Just scoop out the ash and wipe out the bowl with a stiff paper towel. This retains the carbon layer but also nearly the original size of the bowl. Some like to build cake, but I prefer not to. I don't own a reamer and would only buy one if I restored estate pipes with cake.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have always used a Senior Reamer ever since I got into the pipe game. For guys like me who are totally clueless when it comes to tools, the Senior is pretty much idiot proof. I rarely have to ream my pipes as I keep a dimes worth of cake in all my pipes. My pipes smoke cooler and dryer with that amount and the flavors are noticeably better.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have a one of those ones with the t shaped handle and the four different diameter plugs with four blades on it. The thing works great. You just have to set aside more time then you need. So you don't hurry. Take your time and don't force it, instead just keep at it. Persistence is better then force.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The Pipnet is the original. The other brand(s) are knock-offs.
yeah it's one of those though I forget the brand. It works great. I don't know how people mess up with those. They're so straight forward and even really hard cake comes off nice if you go slow and don't try to force it. People talk about breaking them and I think what the heck are you doing? You're like my dad. He breaks and bends tools by trying to force them way too much.

Reactions: Duck and OzPiper

mick92

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
You might think about possibly disassembling them occasionally to clean out the mortise. That's where stuff accumulates.

I make sure to rest my pipes for at least one day after smoking, put them away cool and then disassemble before the subsequent session. Thereon I check to see if the filter needs changed, run a pipe cleaner up the stem and draught hole and then carefully use said cleaner by going around the diameter of the chamber with careful vertical strokes. A bit anal retentive for some, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

@burleybreath one day I'd like to expand my pipe collection, at which point I'd have a senior reamer for my rotations. Pipe restoration is something that appeals to me as well, so I'd see a more durable reamer as part of my inventory when I happen upon intensely thick cake.

@mso489 I vaguely recall something like this from some years back. I'd imagine using paper towels would give a uniquely thin and smooth interior layer to the chamber.

@anotherbob for sure, I'd be like a surgeon if I were reaming pipe bowls. I'd kick myself if a lack of patience marred or ruined the briar.

Thanks again for the myriad of thoughts in the thread everyone.

Reactions: anotherbob