PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
In the category of First World problems, none of my wide stem pipes would fit through the round circle cut out holes of my current pipe racks. So, I ordered 2 new ones with open cut outs and 2 more where the bowl sits with no stem holders.

Ugh, as shown in the photos below, even the new pipe racks won’t accommodate pipes as common as a Savinelli 320 KS. Either the stem is too wide or the bowl is too big for the holder and slides right out as shown below.

Any suggestions besides individual pipe holders? Surely someone makes a pipe rack for wide stem pipes.Thx.

(click or tap on photo to enlarge)

Attachments

• IMG_9146.jpeg
    IMG_9146.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9144.jpeg
    IMG_9144.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9145.jpeg
    IMG_9145.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
It's always tough to get larger pipes to fit in most conventional pipe racks. I have several pipes that won't fit in any of my pipe racks. At some point this fall I'm going to make custom walnut racks to fit the interior of my pipe cabinet. They will be both wide enough to fit large pipes and have enough space in the upper support saddles to accommodate thicker shank/stem pipes.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
You could cut/sand the excess tips off the 3/4 holes on the rack shown so that the sides of the cutout end up being close to parallel to each other. The pipes might then fit with a slight turn in that slot. I pick up racks like this when at a substantial discount, but find other options better.

I had a pipe rack made by JIEZAWOODstudio in China (check them out on Etsy) that works well, but they cost a couple hundred bucks for a rack that holds only sixteen pipes.

The best bargain I’ve found these days are ProSource sunglasses cases, which hold eighteen pipes. The greatest limitation is the length they can accommodate.

Check out my post below for more details:

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I have similar issues, but due to the small size of my pipes.

I've never liked the racks with circular holes for the stems, seen above.
Even amongst the right style of rack, they're often too tall to accommodate sub-5" pipes.
Smaller pipes that are full bent present a curious dilemma too. They have to be turned backwards to stand up in the space provided.

So I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for a rack that looks accommodating.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
With the right tools (Dremel with sanding wheels, stain, and brush) it looks like a easy enough fix. With slightly more tools, you could get a custom built rack for whatever size you need.

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
I modified this pipe rack, including using old leather cuff links, but would prefer something nicer.

Attachments

• IMG_9154.jpeg
    IMG_9154.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9152.jpeg
    IMG_9152.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9151.jpeg
    IMG_9151.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Love
Reactions: ThermionicScott

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
What's the diameter of the 320's stem?

Asking because I'm actually making a few racks now. Wouldn't want to labour for something people won't buy because it doesn't fit their needs.

I'm currently cutting my notches at 7/8".

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
What's the diameter of the 320's stem?

Asking because I'm actually making a few racks now. Wouldn't want to labour for something people won't buy because it doesn't fit their needs.

I'm currently cutting my notches at 7/8".
The width of the stem of the Savinelli 320 KS at the bit measures 3/4” but the mid stem measures a full 1”. See photos.

Then you have these sub 5” Volkan Reverse pipes that measure a full 1”wide the entire length of the short stem.

(Tap on photo to enlarge)

Attachments

• IMG_9162.png
    IMG_9162.png
    776 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9161.jpeg
    IMG_9161.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9165.jpeg
    IMG_9165.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9166.jpeg
    IMG_9166.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 6

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
If all else fails get some earth quake putty (Amzon). Easy to apply and easy to put the pipe on and off the putty. Putty is reusable.

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
In the category of First World problems, none of my wide stem pipes would fit through the round circle cut out holes of my current pipe racks. So, I ordered 2 new ones with open cut outs and 2 more where the bowl sits with no stem holders.

Ugh, as shown in the photos below, even the new pipe racks won’t accommodate pipes as common as a Savinelli 320 KS. Either the stem is too wide or the bowl is too big for the holder and slides right out as shown below.

Any suggestions besides individual pipe holders? Surely someone makes a pipe rack for wide stem pipes.Thx.

(click or tap on photo to enlarge)
Since I'm not very skilled at modifying or building my own pipe racks, I just keep my larger pipes in pipe socks.

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
Here’s some good news for wide pipe stems. I found this beautiful Savinelli (Italy) 3-pipe rack at El Fumidor tobacco shop in Sewickley, PA today for $65. Note that Europeans smoke 9mm pipes, and the top cut outs are a full 1” so this will fit the wider stems.

Attachments

• IMG_9167.jpeg
    IMG_9167.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9168.jpeg
    IMG_9168.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 9

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
Here is the Savinelli rack with pipes. I’d love to find a few more.

Attachments

• IMG_9172.jpeg
    IMG_9172.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 9

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
I've modified all my six-pipe "Fairfiax" brand pipe racks to accommodate larger, bend pipes. I cut out the "O" shape into a u-shape, and re-stained the raw wood. I like this brand because of the egg-shaped divot for the bowl rest. I have eight of these racks, and a 12 pipe, modified similarly. These will be for sale shortly, as I move to a cabinet/drawer storage system.

1694689953687.jpeg

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
I've modified all my six-pipe "Fairfiax" brand pipe racks to accommodate larger, bend pipes. I cut out the "O" shape into a u-shape, and re-stained the raw wood. I like this brand because of the egg-shaped divot for the bowl rest. I have eight of these racks, and a 12 pipe, modified similarly. These will be for sale shortly, as I move to a cabinet/drawer storage system.

View attachment 246699
That’s great. I’m glad someone is stepping in to fill this void. But I’m not sure modifying existing racks will work; an all new rack needs to be designed with 1“ stem openings AND much larger egg-shaped indentations on the bottom row. Otherwise the larger briars like the Savinelli 320 series just don’t sit correctly and slide out.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
That’s great. I’m glad someone is stepping in to fill this void. But I’m not sure modifying existing racks will work; an all new rack needs to be designed with 1“ stem openings AND much larger egg-shaped indentations on the bottom row. Otherwise the larger briars like the Savinelli 320 series just don’t sit correctly and slide out.
they work for my similarly shape GBD 9438 my lone Sav 320

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I bought a great pipe rack on Etsy, but it did not display my churchwardens well. I contacted the seller who modified the existing rack by lengthening 1.5” and added $20 to the price. I bought a third from him later.

You might want to try to discuss with someone who already knows how to build a pipe rack and who has the tools to do it right and make it look nice.