PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Manufactured pipe racks a pretty expensive ($30 - $100). Might be better trying to make one yourself. I'm pretty sure there are some blueprints floating around this forum somewhere. Another option would be to look at smokingpipes.com. They usually have a good variety of pipe racks, but they tend to sell out quickly.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Not sure where you are in Canada, but scope out some flea markets and antique stores. Most of my racks were all found this way (I'm in the Ottawa area), and a few of them were around $5...

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Have you checked eBay?
I've recently received my package from an auction I won and for $40 I got a 6-pipe pipe rack, a bunch of pipe cleaners, a zippo pipe lighter, a pipe pouch, humidifier discs, a pipe tool, and a pipe reamer. Definitely a steal.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Two Cousins does indeed ship. I ordered from Tim about 2 years ago and though it was expensive to ship the end product (a 12 pipe rack with a pull down front drawer and a secret top drawer is nicely mounted on the wall of my home office). I'll try to post a photo here.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
As promised a picture of my pipe rack ordered from Two Cousins about 2 years ago.

image-450x600.jpg

image-1-450x600.jpg

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I have a few smaller racks from Two Cousins, but NOTHING like that, Meatball! It's just SO good looking!!!
Just curious, what made you decide to hang this on a wall, vs sitting on a shelf or desk? I think you made the right choice.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Thanks Bigvan. The rack is a mix of the J.W. Lowe and the Clyneburn in the TwoCousins catalogue. I spoke with Tim over email and sort of customized the features of both that I wanted, namely all the features of the Lowe but the top compartment of the Clyneburn.
I have a small desk and while I keep a few tools and small mason jars or pouches of tobacco in the drawer, I like having my desktop free. Plus, the rack is on the wall just as I walk into my office so its ease of access too.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Meatball
That is one great looking rack! (gee, I thought I would only use that phrase while looking at the female of the species)
Seriously, I really love the pullout on the bottom and the colors.
Very nice.

mrdottle

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
One caveat: Many of the pipe racks on eBay are your father’s and grandfather’s pipe racks for the smaller pipes they smoked, meaning they do not have the required center to center spacing in the seats, i.e., the concave area that holds the bowls, for many of the larger bowl pipes made in recent decades. Most of the older pipe racks you see on eBay were made by Decatur Industries. If you don’t have any pipes with big / larger bowls it won’t be a problem. Search on eBay. Sellers will note if they ship worldwide and / or to Canada.
But with many of today’s pipes have bigger bowls most of those older pipe racks will prove to be ‘bowl bangers.’ Most of the people making pipe racks today are well aware of this. Ideally, the CENTER to CENTER spacing on the seats of a pipe rack should at least be 2 ¼” with a least a one inch space (flat area) between the seats.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Another supporter of EBay. You can get them for great prices, but it is true they will often not fit your larger pipes. Try for one with slots verses holes for the stems as well as those are easier to fit various sizes/shapes.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Ebay is a good place. I didn't pay more then $30 for any of mine, and they both came with beat up pipes. So you could get a good rack, and some project pipes.
As you can see, they are all in great shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.