PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthpipe

Lurker
Dec 9, 2017
Chapin, SC
The closest dedicated pipe shop to me is about 2 hours away from me. I’ve learned that when buying a pipe you should be able to physically look at it, pick it up and such. How does one go about purchasing a new pipe that he cannot physically hold. Been eyeing a Peterson Dracula based solely on looks

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Me? I'd choose to drive the two hours. Also, I never need to buy a pipe. I stumble onto pipes in shops which need to be purchased.
My only suggestion is that any vendor you purchase a pipe from have a very liberal return policy. In other words, if you don't like pipe's heft or proportion, you return it for an immediate refund, no questions asked. Just the simple return of the unsmoked pipe triggers the return.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
How does one go about purchasing a new pipe that he cannot physically hold.
About all you can go on, aside from its appearance, are the stats on its dimensions, which requires that you know what works for you. Even then, the diameter of the draft hole is seldom provided, and can make or break a deal. With factory pipes, usually somebody in the forums can answer questions about that.
Now with the Dracula pipe, when they first hit the market there were complaints about the finish -- I think chipping or peeling or some such thing. That may have long since been corrected.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I purchase pipes all the time off eBay auctions from 4 guys: pipestud, treasurepipes, greatestatepipes, and coopersark. You can easily save up to 50% from retail prices on unsmoked pipes The challenge is knowing what you want and like and vice versa.
Once you know what shapes you like and approximate sizes, it is easy. Just like buying clothes off the Internet. Two or three of the aforementioned guys take returns. If the pipe don’t fit, return it. I have bought some pipes retail from a couple of advertisers on this forum, while more expensive , the immediacy or instant gratification of finding a fill in the blank pipe can be worth the extra money, most of them take returns too.

Jan 8, 2013
You can contact the buyer, ask them to check the drilling, does the stem fit correctly, does it pass a pipe cleaner (not a deal breaker for me), any dings or dents, etc.

darthpipe

Lurker
Dec 9, 2017
Chapin, SC
I was going to purchase it from a dedicated tobacco site like smoking pipes or pipes and cigars. Still don’t know enough to buy from an individual

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Still don’t know enough to buy from an individual
It can be a crap shoot, but sometimes it pays off. My recent love affair with the yacht shape has landed me fourteen good pipes, and one dud (cracked shank), all for under $500. The condition of a $70 Giubileo d'Oro from Australia has yet to be seen, but very hopeful.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd make the trek. Nothing beats holding and examining a pipe. Two hours (four round trip) is a long haul for one purchase, but consider that a pipe is something that you will have probably the rest of your life with a little luck. Most of the owners of the Peterson Dracula seem taken with the pipe, and I don't recall any outright quality problems, but there have been complaints from time to time about Peterson in general. When Drac's were first introduced, I seriously considered it, but it felt a little faddish as the time (not so much by now). Instead, along the same lines but distinctly different, I bought a BC Caprice bent billiard, rusticated black briar with a thin silver colored band and raspberry stem, to fill that same sort of niche. The bowl is not quite as large, but it is a fine smoking pipe and gives a long smoke with flake/plug. And it's not too small for a regular rotation. If you feel the pull, I'd go see the Dracula. Ask Santa to give you a little cash toward the pipe and the gas.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It was a trial and error thing for me when I first started buying pipes. The notion that I needed to hold it and see it in person didn't play much of a factor for me, but even online retailers accept returns if the pipe has not been smoked or altered in any way. So you can buy online and still hold and touch it before making a final decision about smoking it, and ultimately whether you want to keep it or return it. I can't recommend Peterson pipes because I didn't have any luck with them, but many people like them and collect them. You just have to dive in and discover what you like and don't like. It takes time and money to discover what you like, and more time and money to discover what you really like and which pipes are worth keeping and smoking based on personal preference.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
There are a couple of places closer to me, but they don't have a lot of selection.
The place with the best selection for me is about a three hour round trip.

It is completely out of my way. So I kind of plan a trip now and again.
Before I go I do a little research on what I might be looking for, even different blends that I can't find around here. Also research a couple of pipes I might look for. I take notes in my phone, maybe even take a picture of a pipe you like online with you. I have called them to see if they carry what I am looking for if I am dead set on it.
The place has a couple 1000 pipes on hand. He claims over 300 meers alone. And a nice selection of tinned tobacco.
I take my wife, she visits a couple of shops near by and I do my thing. While there I take note of what they have to get ideas for the next trip. After, we eat at a nice joint and go home.
She has grown to like the trip and never refuses to go along.
I would make the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.