PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
When I started collecting pipes I wanted a pipe from the top 100 or so pipe makers. One is not enough , the pipe brothers like to keep each other company, so then I had to buy companion pipes. I am in process of selling off what I don't like as much as what I do like . It's been a marathon and it's not over. additionally i wanted one of every shape, or most of them at least, check. Additionally I love Birdseye and straight grain, so I bid on those too, when spectacular specimens show up. Can't forget the novalty pipes; huge ones , funny ones, artistic ones. Well that about covers it. like my taste in women if the pipe has a heartbeat I like it .

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
If I see the right meer(only, none other) I will spring for it. Otherwise my purchases will be directed at plug/rope/ and flake. I plan to retire in a year or two and want to have my tobacco needs taken care of... :puffy:

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am rather like Alan. I do buy pipes sometimes for the novelty, the history, or the pedigree. I have a robust collection for my income level and time (5 years this month) collecting. I was going to sell off some, but I don't know if that will happen at this time.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
This is a great post; I must have missed it first time 'round. It's fascinating reading everyone's personal insights (and evolution).
In the beginning, I just wanted a decent pipe; something with a touch more quality and robustness than the $15 (local) shop pipe I discovered the hobby with. I purchased a new Peterson Aran 68, and as my once-a-week hobby-smoke became a 3 times a weekend habit, I soon thought I needed two pipes to rotate between. And, as the habit grew, so did the collection... my new goal was to have a couple (quality) seven day sets.
Then my wife and daughters (with liberal encouragement from the boys at the local B&M) discovered pipes are both assesories and collectables; so I got to play with certain shapes, sizes, styles, and manufacturers. This allowed me the chance to grow beyond my beginning prejudices that I was soley a classic smooth, bent billiard guy--as I soon favored smoking sandblasted/rusticated Cherrywoods/pokers (even though I might still bitch that they're a bit too rustic Americana for my [lack of] style; as I happily puff away on one, writing this).
So, it evolved (like a rash): "Oh, I guess I do like straight pipes... Hmm, these vulcinate stems can be a pain; wow, I own all vulcinate stemed pipes... Military mounts and spigots are convenient! I guess I'll have rethink my position on them... Man, Ardor can really build a pipe. I wonder if other Ardors smoke as well... blah, blah, blah, excuse, excuse, excuse..."
And then, after several years, you're sitting on several dozen pipes.
I would be fine with a 21 set of pipes that I'm satisfied with; those certain pipes that just smolder along all Goldilocks and chill, fitting for my personal taste. My search has slowed the older I've become and set in my preferences; but, still, I've set an allotment of 100 pipes. This has helped me (and my wife) to become much more selective in accruement process.
Damn, seeing the number '100' in print seems rather over-indulgent.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
For me I look at only estate pipes. I need to see in my mind what the pipe will look like once it's restored. Or that I can see what I can do to change the pipe and make it my vision of what it should be.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I have several things in mind when acquiring another pipe. First...I have built a nice sized collection, comprised of pipes that 1) smoke well, 2) are aesthetically and ergonomically pleasing. Second...I refurb/restore estates and flip'em online. While I'll happily sell a pipe for a fair price to anyone...I've managed to build a small following...a number of guys have done business with me many times, and we've got a mutually beneficial relationship. I like that. Third...I have been working pipe shows for several years (Chattanooga, Raleigh, Richmond). I've sold a lot of pipes that way, but I really enjoy the interactions with old pipers, new pipers...guys that I can teach things to...and learn from. Raleigh, NC has been a fantastic several year gig for me (shameless plug)...and starting about now...I start building up the estate box with those I can turn into restored beauties for guys to stop by my table to look at...talk about...and sometimes, they buy something. I keep telling myself that as long as my costs for travel / hotel / food / table / inventory are covered...I'll keep doing it. I get just about as excited over a pipe I can refurb to present to a potential new owner as I do over one that I plan to add to my own stable.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Interesting topic, My foremost motivation is obviously upgrading and finding bowl size that fits it purpose best possible,gone thorough lots of money losses in this my selectiveness,needless to say I hope my pipe performs well and looks flawless which undoubtetly is kinda rare combination in todays medium priced machine made pipes.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
Great subject, although new to the pipe scene i do have an addictive nature,i love the Grabows as some of you might know, but luckily they are few on this side of the pond. I say luckily because if they were as available over here as in the States i would be penniless most of the time. I do still search for them at least 2 or 3 times a week but still no luck,i have 3 so far that i really love but do need some more.
Wiz

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I began collecting pipes I was a grain whore. I chased it like a drug addict chases smack. I finally got out of that stage and eventually ended up collecting No American artisan pipes that had really nice sandblasts. I fell in love with Rad Davis's pipes because of how they smoked first. I then kept buying more because his take on classic shapes is what I like and they always smoked great. I want my pipes to look like a pipe and I only collect a small number of shapes. I ended up owning 20 Rad's by the time he retired and will always look at estate pieces when available. I also fell in love with Brian Ruthenberg's work as his are similar to Rad shape wise and they smoke almost identical to each other. I have around ten of his pipes and am always on the lookout for estates of his.
I also ended up listening to Jesse talk so lovingly about his Barlings that I decided to try one, big mistake. The first one I got smoked like a champ, had a great stem and now I have 5 . I don't need any more pipes as I am up to around 70. I like getting a deal, I like the chase and scoring a great pipe for a great price is fun for me. I luckily have figured out what my criteria is for the pipes I buy based on the type of tobacco I smoke. When I look at a new pipe I always ask myself how well will it smoke my flakes? The few non flake blends I have are dedicated to the collection of Willmer AAA Straight Grain pipes I bought(15). That old itch(grain whore) reared it's ugly head and I couldn't pass up that Willmer collection. None of them are flake pipes so I have enough to dedicate 2 or 3 pipes to each non flake blend in my cellar.
Today when I look for a pipe it has to fit my criteria for a flake pipe, has to be from a No American artisan( I like giving my business to our guys, call me a homer) or a Pre Trans Barling that I snake from Jesse. In all the years I have been at this, one thing has not changed, I am very boring when it comes to shapes that I buy. Dublins, Apples, Billiards, Lovats, Brandy's,Rhodesians are about the only shapes and I also only buy pipes with a 1/4 to an 1/8th of a bend as I don't care for full bents.
When I look at all of the new carvers out there I constantly ask, where are the normal shaped pipes? There are so few carver making traditional shapes that I like, that buying a brand new pipe is not high on my list.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Yup. I'm a traditional shape guy also. I do need them bent to some degree or another. I do like a bit of silver, that'll catch my eye every time. Surprisingly, few of my pipes have silver. Too much silver takes from the wood I suppose. It has to complement, not over shadow.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I've gone through phases, but my current and permanent motivation when purchasing a pipe is based on getting tired of one and wanting to replace it with a new one. I keep 6 pipes because that's what my rack holds, that's enough for me to take care of, and I don't smoke but a bowl or two a day. When I start to tire of one of them it's time to commission a new one and sell an old one. I smoke straight classic shapes, and smoke billiards almost exclusively. I do have one lovat and one bulldog in the 6 right now, but I'm starting to tire of the bulldog because it's a little big and I don't smoke it very often. It may be on the outs next year? I also am motivated to purchase a pipe when/if one of my pipes begins to develop a flaw, meaning I've probably smoked it too much or too fast (user error).

Status
Not open for further replies.