Bowl Size

Feel in the hand

Weight

Visual appeal including shape and grain

would be my order of priority.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I have a few old unfinished MM cobs that look a lot worse for wear, but are still very good smokers.

I tend to use these when I’m not likely to be disturbed.

My other cobs, new and old, make frequent public appearances.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I am currently making a briar pipe with a DIY kit that I purchased from P&C. It's my first attempt and I'm sure it will be butt ugly...I'll still smoke.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am currently making a briar pipe with a DIY kit that I purchased from P&C. It's my first attempt and I'm sure it will be butt ugly...I'll still smoke.
So, photos!! Please! Works in process are always of interest.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Beat up is way different than plug ugly. And inexpensive isn't per se visually unappealing. Some of it is in the eye of the beholder. Old design American (U.S.) factory pipes look to me like 1950's cars, pretty great. If your eye is attuned to fine artisan pipes only, they may be homely, but if you like retro industrial design, there's a lot there to love. Aggressively quirky current design is sometimes ugly to me, but I acknowledge that to someone else it might be pleasingly original. But a battered pipe is usually a lovely thing, lots of pleasant hours invested in its wear. Like some older people are attractive precisely because of their wear and tear.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd rather smoke an ugly pipe that smokes great than a beautiful pipe that smokes poorly. Same analogy with women. One that can suck a golf ball through a 10' garden hose has a beauty all her own.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
@jpmcwjr Photos of the kit right out of the box and where I'm at now. I've never done this before. I'll accept any criticism or helpful tips. I'll smoke it no matter how it turns out...at least a couple of times.

diypipe1-112x150.jpg
diypipe2-109x150.jpg

Sorry, I don't know how to enlarge the photos. I'll read the forums to figure it out.

mwsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2017
Definitely not. There are way too many good smoking pipes that are also well designed and aesthetically pleasing. No need to settle.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's done by removing the size delimiter and dash at the end of the photo's URL. (-109x150)
Dang! I had one such decades ago but some one tossed it "for" me....
diypipe2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.