PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think high end pipes are an acquired taste, though some acquire the taste quickly. It's like violins. One looks like the other unless you go about appreciating the Stradivarius and similar masterpieces of the violin maker's craft. Then suddenly, few others will do. I live in the middle ground, have a few higher end pipes, but no collectors items, and a whole range of other pipes from cobs, through American factory pipes, etc. Purely in terms of smoking, once you learn a bit, you can get a great smoke from a moderately or low-priced pipe if you shop with some knowledge.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Yes like was mentioned earlier, it’s mostly reputation and less about style/quality, that makes the price. I personally find many of those super expensive strange looking “art” pipes to be hideous looking and would never buy one, even if I could afford them... Similar to Dunhill’s, while I think some look nice, to me most are average looking for incredible prices and it’s more about the name.

You get what you pay for, doesn’t always apply. Neerup, Nording, Peterson, Brigham, all have really nice looks and quality for fair prices... Not cheap, but not through the roof either for their high quality.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
another thing is at a certain price point you reduce the number of people you can appeal too. A peterson for example most can afford even if they have to save. Go up to five hundred and suddenly people get more picky and there are less that want to spend it. So if you're making a living off of making pipes to keep it profitable you have to charge for a certain type of client. Because you will be as likely roughly to get 500 or 1500. I hope I made sense.

Reactions: Paul_G

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Yes like was mentioned earlier, it’s mostly reputation and less about style/quality, that makes the price. I personally find many of those super expensive strange looking “art” pipes to be hideous looking and would never buy one, even if I could afford them... Similar to Dunhill’s, while I think some look nice, to me most are average looking for incredible prices and it’s more about the name.

You get what you pay for, doesn’t always apply. Neerup, Nording, Peterson, Brigham, all have really nice looks and quality for fair prices... Not cheap, but not through the roof either for their high quality.
Yes, I love art pieces but why can't a pipe just look like a pipe
It's unfortunate because years ago like in the 1920's and 30's during the modern and art deco movements pipes were becoming very fashionable and still looked like pipes - Nowadays all these exotic pipes look like post-modern Outsider-Art - or you can get just same old boring Canadian. Rattrays new Devil Cut's are nice and interesting pipes.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I can't quite wrap my head around the difference between a $200 and $1500 pipe. They look almost completely identical or close to it yet such a vast difference in price.
What's the difference between a $20 Monet Print and an $80M original painting on canvas? They look almost completely identical or close to it yet such a vast difference in price. (At least from a slight distance.)

Expensive pipes are usually so due to rarity or the carver's name/reputation. Carvers are typically called artisans for a reason. Stanwell makes some beautiful pipes for a low price but you'll never know the name of the artist/carver who created it. Of course that's because it was mostly made on a machine but it will still be a nice looking pipe. (And don't get me started on Dali.)

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
The reason all things are made that cost less or cost more. People’s taste and budget. Cheap shoes costs less thbespoke shoes.

With pipes it’s the same, but I’m not going to out poor someone or out extended pinky someone. We like what we like.

Just because someone can’t imagine spending more money on something doesn’t make them “a bad person” vs someone who spends an exorbitant amount.

Some like vanilla ice cream, some like rocky road.

In my opinion, the only people I feel sorry for are the ones who want pineapple on their pizza
I was going to hit the like button on this until I read the pizza comment. Pineapple on pizza is fantastic!

BTW, The Draft House here in Vegas has a pizza called the "Porky Pine". Traditional pizza sauce, mozzarella and fontina cheese mix, pulled pork, smoked Klement’s bratwurst, apple wood smoked bacon, jalapenos and pineapple chunks. Amazing!

Reactions: Paul_G

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
What's the difference between a $20 Monet Print and an $80M original painting on canvas? They look almost completely identical or close to it yet such a vast difference in price. (At least from a slight distance.)

Expensive pipes are usually so due to rarity or the carver's name/reputation. Carvers are typically called artisans for a reason. Stanwell makes some beautiful pipes for a low price but you'll never know the name of the artist/carver who created it. Of course that's because it was mostly made on a machine but it will still be a nice looking pipe. (And don't get me started on Dali.)
I sold a Dali once - I bought it for $70 sold it for $350 - I didn't have the time or patience(required shipping back and forth) to have it authenticated - it was real though - if it was authenticated it'd been worth 40,000 or more - I just took my modest profit and called it a day.

Reactions: Paul_G and shanez

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I was going to hit the like button on this until I read the pizza comment. Pineapple on pizza is fantastic!

BTW, The Draft House here in Vegas has a pizza called the "Porky Pine". Traditional pizza sauce, mozzarella and fontina cheese mix, pulled pork, smoked Klement’s bratwurst, apple wood smoked bacon, jalapenos and pineapple chunks. Amazing!
Well, as a Vegas guy who has eaten at the Draft House too many times to count, I’ve been able to avoid that monstrosity. So I have luck and good taste on my side.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Depends on what you're into. Some are looking for a good smoke, and that's it. There is no need to spend more than $50 on a pipe to get a good smoke. It's not easy to quantify value of a pipe after that based only on smoking qualities. Some people get into collecting, and the chase, and smoke them. Some are more into collecting and don't smoke their pipes much, if at all, and some just smoke and are happy to not get into collecting. It's more about doing what you like rather than trying to convince yourself or others about why this is right and that is wrong. Tastes and interests change. Initially I only smoked relatively inexpensive pipes (GBD's, Sav's, Kaywoodies, etc) and was totally happy with them. I ended up getting connected and then more involved with the Chicago pipe club. Getting exposure to more expensive pipes I saw that other guys have, pushed me to expand my comfort zone price-wise. Nobody at the club ever knocked my factory pipes, though and I haven't seen any guys that collect expensive pipes mock or ridicule another guy's less expensive pipe to their face or behind their back. Maybe elitism exists in the hobby, but I haven't seen it. Long story short, smoke whatever you like and don't worry what anyone else thinks, because odds are they aren't thinking about you anyway.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Yes, I love art pieces but why can't a pipe just look like a pipe
It's unfortunate because years ago like in the 1920's and 30's during the modern and art deco movements pipes were becoming very fashionable and still looked like pipes - Nowadays all these exotic pipes look like post-modern Outsider-Art - or you can get just same old boring Canadian. Rattrays new Devil Cut's are nice and interesting pipes.

yes I’m an art lover too, was more referring to art in the negative sense, like modern art, overboard for no reason. Even though I’m a whisky drinker, not loving those Devil’s cut, of course to each their own, but Rattrays does seem to have some really nice classic shapes and colours at fair prices, hadn’t heard of the company before...

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

Paul_G

Lurker
Oct 21, 2020
Reactions: PipeIT

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Maybe elitism exists in the hobby, but I haven't seen it. Long story short, smoke whatever you like and don't worry what anyone else thinks, because odds are they aren't thinking about you anyway.
TADAAAAAAA! Well stated. WGAF... ? ? ? ? ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.