Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Get into the baby supplies market: Wipestud
Get into the butcher business: Tripestud
Become a gynecologist: Papstud
The possibilities are endless really. Become a dog breeder? pupstud, sell vintage China? cupstud, what about an online blog where you complain? gripestud.
Great ideas, Hap & mikethompson!
Pipestud

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I am with the cellar guys. I am concentrating on my cellar so I don't have to worry about it. I will, if I don't already, have enough tobacco to last the rest of my life. Hopefully pipes will be around a long time but I do have a fair share of pipes already. Looking forward to the day when I can just cruise and not worry about spending any more money.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Instead of stopping boat loads of marijuana, the U.S. Coast Guard will be stopping boat loads of tobacco being smuggled in from Central America and Cuba. The Mexican drug cartels will start growing and selling tobacco. All the good briar pipes will be marketed as marijuana pipes.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Instead of stopping boat loads of marijuana, the U.S. Coast Guard will be stopping boat loads of tobacco being smuggled in from Central America and Cuba. The Mexican drug cartels will start growing and selling tobacco. All the good briar pipes will be marketed as marijuana pipes.
:rofl:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Not so log ago our Government come up with new announcement Finland is planned to become as like smoke free country in 2025 and ours healthcare department will do all necessary that this will come true,nontheless when Customs and border protection department were asked their opinion,their answer to this bill were rather cynical.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't see any chance of a ban. A ban on tobacco would do just about as well as the ban on alcohol did. The current campaign of death by a thousand cuts do doing just fine.
But in the extremely unlikely event that such a ban got enacted, the market for artisan pipes here would take quite a hit. So carvers would focus on other markets, or produce pipes for smoking "other" substances, or change careers. Prices would go through a wobble, and probably drop, with estate prices taking the biggest hit.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
‘What would be the value of pipes & tobacco stashes if thermonuclear WW3 started ?”
Some people just like to worry about things over which they have no control.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
IMO there’s no current movement to ban tobacco. There does seem to be an effort to use costly regulations to drive smaller competitors out of business, though. Such tactics have been used in many industries. There will be ‘safer, tested’ products at higher prices in the future after the little players are gone, I suspect. The vaping industry is just too attractive a market to ignore. Pipe tobacco is just collateral damage; vaping dollars are the target.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
I believe high grade pipes will still rise, they are art. There may not be a big demand for regular smokers and they make drop.

I personally don't believe tobacco ever gets banned.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I don't see any chance of a ban. A ban on tobacco would do just about as well as the ban on alcohol did. The current campaign of death by a thousand cuts do doing just fine.

I agree with this and will add that it won't be the government but your employer and or your insurance provider who will price you out or by having a no nicotine policy as a condition of employment. 8O

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Proclaim yourself the voice of god, move to the Vatican and wear a funny hat: Popestud - georgebmcclelland
LOL! Well, I like your idea. I already wear a funny hat, so now to start working on the other two. (-:
Pipestud

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A ban on tobacco would do just about as well as the ban on alcohol did.
That failed due to it being an immediate act. The antis have had decades and generations of non tobacco propaganda to influence the market.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The "pipe as art" market would be even smaller than the antique pipe market. But, we waste time worrying about what might be the future. My belief is, tobacco will always be available for those who can afford it. So, insuring the flow of future dollars should be the prime concern today.

Status
Not open for further replies.