PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameshsi

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
Hi, I try search in Google and the forum here, trying to know more about "Pipe Of The Year" for some pipes, but I am not lucky to find most of them in many past years, for example, a few days I bought a Stanwell 2017 POY pipe, and in that pipe box I found it says this pipe is design by Poul Winslow.
Is every POY pipes are design by some famous artisan pipe maker ?
And, Normally, what's the reason they decide which pipe is gonna be a "Pipe Of The Year" ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think most POY's are designed and chosen by unnamed staff, presumably senior folks. I think some folks collect them and that creates a market. Personally, I don't like the ones with little metal plaques on the shank, like an historical marker. My pipes are landmarks in my life in various ways, and I'm not much on celebrating the pipe company, but I don't think it is a bad thing for those who enjoy it. Some of the pipes are really nice, except for the plaques, to my taste.

jameshsi

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
This is my first Stanwell pipe of the year, 2017.

IMG_1427.jpg

The shape is design by Poul Winslow.

IMG_1428.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
That's a very nice Stanwell, jameshsi. ALso, like the 2010 version a lot. Was also curious about the story of POTYs, and am not surprised to see it's just a marketing ploy. Nothing inherently bad about that, but I'm not a collector, so unless a particular shape/finish appealed to me, it wouldn't mean much to me.
Personally, I don't like the ones with little metal plaques on the shank, like an historical marker
Interesting. I think it can look very nice on the right pipe, but I see what you mean by its resemblance to a historical marker.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I always just assumed it was marketing. I like the Stanwell! Not surprising since it's a Winslow. I only ever bought one POTY, an estate buy, because the shape is one of my favorites and I'm a sucker for silver spigot work, which is quite elaborate in this case. It's a Peterson 2005 POTY.
pete-poty-5-600x241.jpg

pete-poty-3-600x291.jpg

pete-poty-4-600x332.jpg

pete-poty-2-600x244.jpg

Reactions: crazyhog

jameshsi

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
I am not a Peterson fan too, but it did looks nice and seductive.
Tell me, where can I probably find it ? (on line)

jameshsi

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
Just can't resist this POTY 2016, got it from someone, unsmoke, yesterday, and I put Curly Block, cut in cubes, smokes very good.

IMG_1482.jpg

I am glad I bought it, although I still don't have any idea which pipe maker design it, or the model number.

IMG_1480.jpg

I agree that the plate is not a good idea.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
That's a very nice looking pipe Jameshsi.

I'm also not keen on the plate. At least it sits flush.
Alaskanpiper - that's one fine Peterson. Love the silver work.

jameshsi

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
Anybody knows the story for POY 2016 ? like who is the designer originally or what's the model number...etc. I don't think they just randomly pick one up and say this one is gonna be POY, uh ?

Status
Not open for further replies.