Pipe Not Received from Retailer (Site Sponsor)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
What is very strange is that my delivery address is my office, which is open Monday to Friday from 8.00am-5.00pm. There is always 1-3 staff on reception duty at all times. Also my office is a stand alone building, not a cubby hole stuck in a huge tower block. I'm on the Main Street of in the city and right next door to the Parcels Office.
I still suggest you file a dispute with the credit card company. They deal with this all the time and are the best bet for you getting a fair shake.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thank you all for your thoughts and kind words.

The more I think on this, the more I am convinced that the wrong address was put on the parcel. There is just no way Australia Post could have failed on 4 occasions to deliver to a building that is right next door to them.

While it was not a cheap pipe, it is discretionary money, thankfully. It is what I would have spent on a night out, or on a bottle of wine to share with mates, so no big deal.

The disappointment is that I had praised and recommended that retailer on the Forums on numerous occasions. I suppose it's only when the chips are down that you discover the true nature of people.

It's not how I would behave, or how a good business should be run.

I've said all I want to say on the subject. I'll chalk it up as another lesson learnt.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I am very untrusting with the delivery people say "tried multiple times to attempt delivery" if they are running late they don't even bother to attempt a delivery. Other factors are they have a high staff turnover so there is never a regular guy on the route, most don't even know the suburbs of the city now so if they get lost they just default to "attempted delivery".
I work from home and always there is someone here. I had this happen to a tobacco delivery, after it got through Customs unscathed (miracle) then the useless delivery company stuffed up and it was sent back to the USA.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
First, second and then third You challenge the charge on The credit card period … this is a non issue

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
On a different note - about a year ago a Nording Woodcock (the pipe that inspired me to head down the pipe smoking road, along with discovering this site) was available so a big deal to me since I'd also discovered that it was a pipe that was pretty hard to find new or used. So I ordered it and the package arrived and I took out the Nording tube and opened it and . . . it was empty. Nothing in it. Unfortunately it came on a Friday, the dealer was closed for Columbus Day and so I had to sweat it out until Monday. Although it seemed hard for the person I spoke with to believe they sent an empty tube, and no doubt it was, the usual inspection note that came with it wasn't initialed and apparently that meant something to her and long story shorter a replacement was sent out right away that I had to order and pay for and although a refund on the first order was simultaneously offered I decided to convert it to credit and ended up ordering last year's Nording Cheeetah. So a pretty happy ending to a tale that I'm guessing wouldn't have had a happy ending with a lot of other dealers.

So sometimes things work out. Maybe the retailer at issue here just needs to receive the pipe back and at that time will make things right? Hope it does!

On another note, lol, looks like OP mentioned all but maybe two of the sponsors listed, so if not mentioning the retailer is a matter of principle, that rings a little bit hollow by saying it isn't pretty much anyone else - now I'm looking at two and I guess flipping a coin. Kind of unfair to one of those two, IMO. Maybe just edit it back to saying it was a sponsor and leave the whole who it wasn't out of it.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

The more I think on this, the more I am convinced that the wrong address was put on the parcel. There is just no way Australia Post could have failed on 4 occasions to deliver to a building that is right next door to them.
Or the label got ruined. I've had that happen with a package and still had it show up like a month later. Luck would have it that it was something that having extra of was no problem (since I reordered it while waiting for the first package).

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
On a different note - about a year ago a Nording Woodcock (the pipe that inspired me to head down the pipe smoking road, along with discovering this site) was available so a big deal to me since I'd also discovered that it was a pipe that was pretty hard to find new or used. So I ordered it and the package arrived and I took out the Nording tube and opened it and . . . it was empty. Nothing in it. Unfortunately it came on a Friday, the dealer was closed for Columbus Day and so I had to sweat it out until Monday. Although it seemed hard for the person I spoke with to believe they sent an empty tube, and no doubt it was, the usual inspection note that came with it wasn't initialed and apparently that meant something to her and long story shorter a replacement was sent out right away that I had to order and pay for and although a refund on the first order was simultaneously offered I decided to convert it to credit and ended up ordering last year's Nording Cheeetah. So a pretty happy ending to a tale that I'm guessing wouldn't have had a happy ending with a lot of other dealers.

So sometimes things work out. Maybe the retailer at issue here just needs to receive the pipe back and at that time will make things right? Hope it does!

On another note, lol, looks like OP mentioned all but maybe two of the sponsors listed, so if not mentioning the retailer is a matter of principle, that rings a little bit hollow by saying it isn't pretty much anyone else - now I'm looking at two and I guess flipping a coin. Kind of unfair to one of those two, IMO. Maybe just edit it back to saying it was a sponsor and leave the whole who it wasn't out of it.
Edit: just noticed the snafu occurred three months ago and attempts to handle it now (?) didn't work out. Maybe some info missing from the story that might be important, maybe not. Sounds doubtful it can work out now, sorry for the situation for the OP if it doesn't. Ironically I found a used Woodcock at an overseas dealer over the weekend and it is on its way here now so I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep an eye on the tracking!

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW

While it was not a cheap pipe, it is discretionary money, thankfully. It is what I would have spent on a night out, or on a bottle of wine to share with mates, so no big deal.

The disappointment is that I had praised and recommended that retailer on the Forums on numerous occasions. I suppose it's only when the chips are down that you discover the true nature of people.

It's not how I would behave, or how a good business should be run.

I've said all I want to say on the subject. I'll chalk it up as another lesson learnt.
I think you underestimate the power of some workers to mess (polite word) things up...

Why don't you file a credit card dispute, and if you win just donate the funds to a local animal shelter (cats!). If you agree to donate to a shelter, I'll help you with the dispute. Just PM me order & delivery details/dates & I'll write it up.

That way everyone wins, including little lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: seanv

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I am pleased to report a resolution to this thread.

The retailer in question has offered a trade/store credit of the difference between what I paid and their cost of the pipe (ie their mark-up) which I have accepted.

While it is not the full purchase price, the fact they have reached out with an offer is satisfactory to me. I have no wish for to engage in a stoush.

If Kevin had some input into this matter, I am very grateful to know that he has our backs.

Moderators - you may delete this thread if you please

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I am pleased to report a resolution to this thread.

The retailer in question has offered a trade/store credit of the difference between what I paid and their cost of the pipe (ie their mark-up) which I have accepted.

While it is not the full purchase price, the fact they have reached out with an offer is satisfactory to me. I have no wish for to engage in a stoush.

If Kevin had some input into this matter, I am very grateful to know that he has our backs.

Moderators - you may delete this thread if you please
Glad you're happy with the results.

OTOH I'm not sure I'd take that deal especially if the pipe in question made it back into their inventory. I have a hard time justifying paying any amount for goods that I ultimately did not receive.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Glad you're happy with the results.

OTOH I'm not sure I'd take that deal especially if the pipe in question made it back into their inventory. I have a hard time justifying paying any amount for goods that I ultimately did not receive.
They did say that IF that pipe turned up, they will let me know and offer to ship out to me, which is my preferred option.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area

There’s 3 he didn’t list... so 3 possibilities; however, two don’t sell Estates. So defacto the OP did reveal who the vendor was. (So I’d have to agree with your assessment)

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
This, exactly this.
Yep.

I just had an Amazon order (just a jazz CD) that evaporated - some "shipping partner" in New Jersey supposedly didn't get it to the post office (I assume it's buried at the Meadowlands or playing in a garbage truck owned by the mob at this point). I called and they issued a refund and it was good whether it ever showed up. LOL, unfortunately, despite confirming the item a couple of times with the person I spoke with (and we had a little trouble understanding each other, and I know that works two ways) she refunded the amount of a much larger item that was part of the order they were clearly showing did arrive and that I did receive. So . . . spent about fifteen minutes on the phone yesterday making sure I got charged again for what I did receive and only refunded for that which appears to be lost at this point. I completely agree it's on them and that's what tracking is for. I assume without knowing after so long between attempts and the inquiry perhaps the seller thought the customer was avoiding delivery on something for which there may have been a no return/refund policy and therefore the source of the issue, but I'd think that could be sorted out with the local postal facility as far as providing information in support of why it couldn't be delivered (if they tried, lol, which is a completely different issue). The tracking should tell the tale one way or the other and if it clearly wasn't delivered and without blame clearly showing to the buyer there should be a full refund.

I hear Meryl Streep - "A dingo ate my parcel."

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Yep.

I just had an Amazon order (just a jazz CD) that evaporated - some "shipping partner" in New Jersey supposedly didn't get it to the post office (I assume it's buried at the Meadowlands or playing in a garbage truck owned by the mob at this point). I called and they issued a refund and it was good whether it ever showed up. LOL, unfortunately, despite confirming the item a couple of times with the person I spoke with (and we had a little trouble understanding each other, and I know that works two ways) she refunded the amount of a much larger item that was part of the order they were clearly showing did arrive and that I did receive. So . . . spent about fifteen minutes on the phone yesterday making sure I got charged again for what I did receive and only refunded for that which appears to be lost at this point. I completely agree it's on them and that's what tracking is for. I assume without knowing after so long between attempts and the inquiry perhaps the seller thought the customer was avoiding delivery on something for which there may have been a no return/refund policy and therefore the source of the issue, but I'd think that could be sorted out with the local postal facility as far as providing information in support of why it couldn't be delivered (if they tried, lol, which is a completely different issue). The tracking should tell the tale one way or the other and if it clearly wasn't delivered and without blame clearly showing to the buyer there should be a full refund.

I hear Meryl Streep - "A dingo ate my parcel."
Good on you for rectifying the mistake. Too often folks today will demand restitution and if that restitution accidentally errs in their favor, will quietly keep it. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.