PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

matchstick

Lurker
Mar 4, 2014
Other than The Amsterdam Pipe Museum, are there any other museums dedicated to pipes and their history? Perhaps one in the United States?

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I can't remember exactly where or it's name, but on the coast of South Carolina there is a small museum dedicated to old firearms, mostly muzzle loaders. My wife and I came across it in the mid 70's. It had a section with meerschaum pipes.... Not very big but had some very nice exhibits.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Here are a couple museums dedicated to pipes here in the U.S.:
Corn Cob Pipe Museum, Washington, MO -- Located at the MM Factory
Pamplin Pipe Museum, Pamplin, VA -- Dedicated to the Pamplin clay trade pipes from the 19th c. and early 20th c.

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
There is a pipe museum at Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint Mi. I write about it in my book Adventures of a Pipe Traveler. Available through amazon and kindle. Take care all. Pipetraveler

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The museum at Paul's that pipetraveler mentioned in his post is quite the thing to see. Paul's Museum If you are in southeast Michigan and have the time, go to Paul's. It is a legendary place. Paul passed away last summer;he was 100 years old. The shop is still run by his son, Dan; it's an old-time B&M of a type you don't see much any more.

While you're there, get yourself a Cayuga pipe and a couple of ounces of Arrowhead Pipe Club mixture.

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
You said it well Jud, Paul's is worth the trip. I talk a lot about Paul and his son Danny in my book, Adventurs of a Pipe Traveler. I'll try and dig up some pictures and post them. Pipetraveler

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Sadly I cannot think of one museum dedicated to pipes. I remember visiting 'The House of Pipes' in Bramber in Sussex about thirty odd years ago. I think the chap who ran it has long since passed away. I do remember they had the most incredible display of carved meerschaums and even a pipe that had belonged to Stanley Baldwin a former British PM. We need more pipe museums otherwise the PC crowd will white wash away all the history 1984 style.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Racine & Laramie in San Diego's Old Town has a few display cases filled with museum quality briars and meers. Worth checking out if you're in the area, and they have a pretty solid selection of tobacco too!

benrapaport

Lurker
Apr 19, 2011
Anyone interested in a list of museums around the globe that have tobacco pipes, whether on display or in storage, can contact me and I am more than willing to share my database with them: ben70gray@gmail.com.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Gosh these sound fun. I can probably visit the MI & IN ones at some point.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fishnbanjo has one, accessible post-by-post on Forums. I believe it is one of the largest collections in the world.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Unfortunately, one of the great American Tobacciana museums is no longer here in the States. Frank Burla, the Godfather of the Chicago Show, had an incredible collection of thousands of tobacco related items, that he displayed in a Chicago area condominium apartment, and had an open invitation to all who were interested.

Pretty much the entire collection is now in China.

But, long before he sold the collection, he was a guest on Brian Levine’s Radio Show, and took the listeners on a virtual tour of the museum.

Those with an active imagination can go on this "tour" by listening to Episode 51 of the show, from 2014. Here’s the link:
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/radio-talk-show/the-pipes-magazine-radio-show-episode-51/#

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Dino. As soon as I read the title, I thought of Frank Burla and that radio show episode. I didn't know that he had taken it down. Guess that I missed my opportunity.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
With Frank gone, perhaps as close as you'll find is at the Boswell shop in Chambersburg, PA. JM has quite a collection of tobbaciana, at least the largest that I've ever seen. Everything is in glass display cases in the upstairs lounge. The large room is kept locked for events, but if you ask, they open and give you a tour. JM worked as a sales guy for SM Frank and other firms of that era, so he has all manner of items and old, collectible tobacco tins for display.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It strikes me as extremely strange that Frank Burla's museum scale collection should end up in China, though I understand the market force that put it there. Among many countries with deep developed pipe cultures (France, Italy, Denmark, Ireland, U.S. ...) China has not been much of a pipe smoking nation. I think pipes were probably introduced by Europeans, mostly the British, who were in China, to some degree over time, as a drug cartel (opium). Even opium pipes were introduced and pushed by the opium trade which was resisted by China. Hence the opium wars. I wonder what clientele if any visits the collection now. I would like to see the collection in St. Louis, in the vicinity of Missouri Meerschaum, or in France or Italy's pipe making regions, where there is a natural historical connection. I guess I should be glad it found a home somewhere, all in one piece. China is a huge consumer of cigarettes, and to a somewhat lesser degree, cigars, but not so much pipes, though there are small tobacco pipe clubs here and there. These seem to be small, self-conscious groups attracted to the exoticism of tobacco pipes.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Many years ago I visited a restaurant in Paris and one wall was entirely taken up with glass fronted cases displaying hundreds of pipes. I wasn't a pipe smoker back then but I did take the time to look at the collection.
Why a restaurateur would have such a display in his premises is beyond me but it certainly was something to behold.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.