PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
Had a new MM-General that started to crack through at very top/slightly on the side...pipe mud with some good pipe ash/honey and water....good as new..
Pipe mud strikes again without fail!

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
You have peaked my intrest, I have a Pipe that cracked a few years ago, it has a gorgeous pattern in it and My Wife gave it to me for Christmas one year, but due to the crack I can no longer smoke it.

SO What is Pipe Mud??????? Please explain.....

Jul 12, 2011
Pipe mud is either cigar ash or pipe tobacco ash (can do a combo of both or either or) cigar ash I think hardens better but I prefer tobacco pipe ash myself, other threads here perhaps explain better than I but I just use an old tobacco tin lid and start putting all my ash in it, mound it up and then in center I put a few drops of honey to start (others again have used just water and ash combo...again I prefer a little honey w/water mixed into the ash which has great results for me) start mixing the wet into dry until you get a grout-like mixture, then take this mixture and coat the inside of your pipe bowl with it and (I put a doubled-up pipe cleaner inside the shank/into the bowl to prevent mud from cloggin up the draft-hole) once you have given a nice even coat to the entire bowl let this dry for a few days....that is it...it should harden and give you instant "cake" I only really do this for a cracked bowl or on my cobs...cake will build in briar pipes just from smoke'in and this is the ideal way of doing it...but if in a jam pipe mud has never let me down...others/comments...?

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
i used it the other day to raise the bottom of my bowl up to the air hole. worked like a dream

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Mud is about the only way to salvage some over reamed bowls. Or those that were cut up by some goon "cleaning " them with a sharp pointed pocket knife.

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I just had a major burn. I combined pipe and cigar ash, added water (drop by drop and stir) until it was like spackle and filled the burn. I made the fill a bit higher than the side of the bowl. Let it dry for 2 days, filled the pipe and smoked. Smoked about 5 times without cleaning any ash. Then I smoothed the high spot and you would never know there had been a burn, it looks like a bowl with a smooth cake. Works great. The leftover pipe mud can be reused by adding a bit of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.